Cutting Sheet Metal?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vtgaryw

vtgaryw

I have a project I'm working on, I need a number of pieces of galvanized 24 ga sheet metal cut to 10" x 12". I no longer have access to the small machine shop where I used to work, so no shear.

How would you cut up 10 or so pieces? They need to be relatively straight cuts.

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

What size material are you starting with to cut it from?

It's difficult to get a good cut without a shear on larger pieces, but I've cut smaller pieces fairly well by sandwiching it between plywood and cutting it with a fine tooth metal saw on a circular saw. Not the best of edges, but was adequate for my intention at the time.

magpens

If you have a metal vendor in your vicinity (in particular the one where you may have bought the metal originally) they might let you use their shear or do it for you.

Marmotjr

Also check to see if there is a local maker space with a shear. It's nearly impossible in my experience to get straight cuts with hand tools. Of course, I'd only try it for a few seconds before giving up and using the shear.

There should be some sort of industrial shop in your area that might let you pay them a small fee for cutting it up for you.

If you plan on doing similar projects in the future, look into getting a small shear for yourself. You can find hobbyist stuff relatively cheaply (few hundred).

randyrls

If you don't have too many of them, clamp the metal between two pieces of aluminum angle and score with a sharp utility knife. Bend until it breaks. Throw the blade away when done. WEAR GLOVES!!!

vtgaryw

I ended up getting a quote from an HVAC shop. Turns out that even with their cutting fee, because they buy in bulk, I can get a better price from them than if I bought individual sheets and cut it myself.

Thanks everyone,

Gary

Top Bottom