Custom knives

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Travis Fry

Travis Fry

I make custom knives now, and since there is a lot of equipment and materials crossover, I thought making pens might mesh well with that hobby. That, combined with a lifelong appreciation for fine writing implements and a knack for drawing seems to make it a natural fit for me. Just need a lathe... Anyway, to the knives:
JUL26-1-of-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

Very nice, Travis. What kind of steel? Hand forged, etc.? Let us know.

Thanks.

Travis Fry

This lot are all different with regards to steel and forging vs stock removal. Top is 1075 carbon steel (stock removal) with brass and Hawaiian Kiawe. Second is 440C stainless (can't forge that!) with green canvas Micarta. Last is forged 1080 carbon steel with antiqued brass and some killer York Gum burl. I'll be forging most of my knives in the future as I pursue my Journeyman Smith certification through the American Bladesmith Society. Thanks for the kind words guys!

Seamus, your Texas tru-quarter blanks make me drool. Once I get going with pens, I'll come calling.

Last edited:

Brooks803

This lot are all different with regards to steel and forging vs stock removal. Top is 1075 carbon steel (stock removal) with brass and Hawaiian Kiawe. Second is 440C stainless (can't forge that!) with green canvas Micarta. Last is forged 1080 carbon steel with antiqued brass and some killer York Gum burl. I'll be forging most of my knives in the future as I pursue my Journeyman Smith certification through the American Bladesmith Society. Thanks for the kind words guys!

Seamus, your Texas tru-quarter blanks make me drool. Once I get going with pens, I'll come calling.

Those are very cool indeed! Hey Seamus....how's about some Tru-Quarter knife scales?

BSea

Be careful Travis. I came to this site when I was making gun grips. I bought my lathe about 4 years ago, and haven't made a set of grips since.:rolleyes: Those are some beautiful knives. I like how you have the T-FRY on the blade. And York Gum Burl is also a favorite of mine.

Hey Seamus....how's about some Tru-Quarter knife scales?
That's a really cool idea. I have 2 really nice 1911 dimes I thought about imbedding into some grips. But now I'm thinking just how much cooler they would look with The Seamus treatment.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
How about some nice Buffalo Head Nickels!

I'm not allowed to use knives... but a nice burl with a Buffalo Head... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom