curly oak pen tote box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from redfishsc

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

Lol, this box turned out a bit different than I had expected. First, when I cut the mitered key slots, the wooden sled I was using had warped a tad unbeknownst to me. My key slots were all crooked. So I hogged out some larger keys that look to me a bit overdone, but that's what I have.

The handle is curly oak and curly walnut. The keys are mahogany.

I decided to shoot for the antique-look. I colored the oak with household ammonia to force-age it instantly (which is where 99% of the color comes from). I then applied several oil/varnish coats. Once dried I beat up the corners and edges a bit and put some dent marks in it. I sanded with 320 and wiped an ebony-color stain, and then wiped it off immediately leaving a hint of an old patina.

Next I used a toothbrush and the black stain to flick some "fly specks" all over it, which if you look closely you can see.

Finally, I used a window latch for the beefy look and utility.

On the inside is two trays made of yellow pine, finished only in linseed oil. One tray stacked on top of the other. The box will hold any pen. Holds around 40 pens. I have yet to fill the box up, praise God, I have sold more pens lately than I can keep up with. I have as many comments about the box as I do the pens.

pen_box1.JPG
]

pen_box3.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Great Job. It is a nice looking box, I am sure that you would get positive comments on it and maybe some offers to sell?

Mike

oldsmokey

Nice job on the box. Years ago I made a lot of distressed furniture. I used a very large chain to beat up the furniture, and then used wet coffee grinds for a stain. I would let the coffee grinds sit in the corners and along the edges where I wanted darker stains to give it the aged look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom