Cryptex Prototype

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gketell

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Ever since my son read The DaVinci Code in 6th grade he has wanted a cryptex. He even did a rough design of his own creation so he could make it. This year he took an Advanced Studies class that let him pretty much do what he wanted as long as he did research, did a write up, and did a project. He chose the cryptex. He and I designed it and built it pretty much from scratch starting with his plans and enhancing them and filling in all the missing parts. This was implemented as a prototype so we took a short cut in using the PVC for the central tubes since we couldn't figure out how to make the tubes from scratch in the time we had left.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

It is 6-1/2" long and 4-/14" diameter and is made out of Walnut and Bloodwood and PVC.

There are seven combination rings each with 27 possible entries resulting in over 10.4 Billion possible combinations.

This is the architecture of the beast:
attachment.jpg

You have the inner "safe tube" with attached PVC lock teeth that is inset into, and glued to the "outer door". And outer "C" tube that keeps the thing from falling apart while open that is inset into and glued to the back end piece. The "Lock Rings" and the outside "combination rings". You can set the combination to anything you like by loosening a set screw in the lock ring and rotating the combination ring about it then tightening the set screw again. (See attachments for more details.)

My son did all the band saw work, all the scroll saw work, all the planer work and I ended up doing all of the tablesaw work and most of the router work on the rings (after he lost his fingernail to the router during a moment of inattention
eek.gif
).

All in all it was a great project and we learned a lot and know lots of areas for improvement if we ever get around to making a "final draft" and "finish" versions.

GK

Attachments

• _MG_5941.jpg
    _MG_5941.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 6,839
  • _MG_5942.jpg
    _MG_5942.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 10,885
  • _MG_5943.jpg
    _MG_5943.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 4,566
  • _MG_5945.jpg
    _MG_5945.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 924
  • _MG_5946.jpg
    _MG_5946.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,602
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen Maker

.. - / .. ... / - .... . / -.-. --- --- .-.. . ... - / - .... .. -. --. / .. / .... .- ...- . / . ...- . .-. / ... . . -. / - .... .- - / .-- .- ... / .... .- -. -.. / -- .- -.. .

pipecrafter

-.-- --- ..- * .- .-. . * - .... . * -... .. --. --. . ... - * --. . . -.- * .. * ...- . * . ...- . .-. * -.-. --- -- . * .- -.-. .-. --- ... ... * * * -- .- -.-- -... . * -... .. --. --. . .-. * - .... .- -. * -- . * *

Geek. :biggrin:

Pen Maker

-. --- -.. --- ..- -... - .- -... --- ..- - .. - --..-- -.-- --- ..- .-. -. --- - ... --- -... .- -.. -.-- --- ..- .-. ... . .-.. ..-.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you all for the nice comments!! Even if I did have to throw on my geek hat to read some of them. :biggrin:

I never knew there were morse-code translators on the web now. That is fun!!

GK

rlharding

Wow....now that's something you should market. I can't even imagine how you would start. Fabulous, and as someone said, a great father/son bonding event. Wow.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Yahhhhh, no. Making one of these was a real PITA. I can't even imagine trying to make them in any kind of quantity. Maybe if I had a CNC machine and/or a metal lathe. But trying to hand create each of those rings.... We threw out more than we "successfully" made. And I would want to do make the inner tubes out of wood too (which I really don't have a lot of clue how to do).

But it would be fun to figure out all those issues.

GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I saw the plans in ScrollSaw magazine. It was great if you only had a scroll saw to work with. But we didn't like the external braces to keep it assembled or the brads as the "keys".

My son wanted it to look like what we saw in the movie but have an adjustable combination. It was really fun working with him to figure out how to make what he wanted. I really can't recommend highly enough taking on a challenging project with your kids and working with them to solve the problems. It'll bring you closer together (when it is done; while doing it you may fight a bit. :wink:).

GK

VisExp

Greg, that is very cool. I'm sitting here trying to figure out all the steps involved in making it. Your son is going to remember this experience for many years to come, as are you I'm sure.

Tn-Steve

Super Cool. Sounds like you have a junior engineer there on your hands. A very impressive project, well designed and well executed. Way to go.

Steve

workinforwood

I saw the plans in ScrollSaw magazine. It was great if you only had a scroll saw to work with. But we didn't like the external braces to keep it assembled or the brads as the "keys".

GK

Yep, that's the one, but like I said, your prototype is a million time better than the one in the magazine! But hey...that same magazine will print an intarsia on the cover with gaps big enough to put a thumb into and won't accept any of my stuff. So I publish elsewhere!

-.-- --- ..- * .- .-. . * - .... . * -... .. --. --. . ... - * --. . . -.- * .. * ...- . * . ...- . .-. * -.-. --- -- . * .- -.-. .-. --- ... ... * * * -- .- -.-- -... . * -... .. --. --. . .-. * - .... .- -. * -- . * *

Geek. :biggrin:

You guys are giving me a headache trying to remember how to read morse code.. :embarrassed: it's been 45 years since I worked with it... (former RM2-USN)

Oh and Thanks Greg!!
Now you've added another something to my to-do list... number 139.:curse::curse::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
Chuck,

Here is how I read/wrote morse code: http://morsecode.scphillips.com/jtranslator.html. I never did learn how to read it.

GK
ps you're welcome. :evilgrin:

Oh I learned to read the stuff.. in the navy radiomen are derogatively referred to as "dit dopes"... wouldn't know why..:cool::cool:

I did more telex than radio... seemed like every time I came up on the ship circuit, I would get dinged the the communications techs that monitored the radio frequencies... seems I had a "distinctive swinging fist"..

Jim Smith

What a great father and son project. I'm sure he'll remember this project for the rest of his life and not just because of the lessons he learned about working with a router. Terrific job! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Jim

Top Bottom