A couple more bird house ornaments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

Those are really really nice. Are they meant purely as an ornament or do they have another use?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Akula

So nice. I made quite a few of them many years back then for some unknown reason I just didn't make them any longer. I must have got busy or something, well, seeing your work makes me want to do them again. Thank you.

jttheclockman

Great job John! Nice to see you turning again.

Thanks all. Yes Mark I am finally getting caught up on other projects and I only have one more show so my shop time and pen turning time will increase. It will be good to turn a pen or two again. Have a lot of ideas I want to try. I did a few more of these ornaments because my inventory was so low from the past 3 years and they do sell well. Next year I have a few more ideas to try with them. I like making them because you can get a little creative with these too.

Someone asked about their function and basically it is just a small ornament. Some people hang them on the Christmas tree and others buy the stands I offer as seen there and display them all year round. Fun to make. :) Thanks again.

MDWine

After seeing yours, John, I am inspired.
Next week I hope to get into the shop and begin learning to do these.
I was looking at your "hanger" when I remembered one of our demonstrators making his own. He turned two spheres, made a sort of finial, and used his own brass wire to make the hanger. I especially like these, they look like half an ornament. You can see a pic of that here: (https://www.flickr.com/photos/capwoodturners/30956736071/in/datetaken/)

The demo turner is David Reed Smith. He showed a process where he turns that wooden "cap" that you place on top of a round ornament . Very interesting process, excellent turner too!

jttheclockman

After seeing yours, John, I am inspired.
Next week I hope to get into the shop and begin learning to do these.
I was looking at your "hanger" when I remembered one of our demonstrators making his own. He turned two spheres, made a sort of finial, and used his own brass wire to make the hanger. I especially like these, they look like half an ornament. You can see a pic of that here: (https://www.flickr.com/photos/capwoodturners/30956736071/in/datetaken/)

The demo turner is David Reed Smith. He showed a process where he turns that wooden "cap" that you place on top of a round ornament . Very interesting process, excellent turner too!

Yes those are very nice and the ideas are endless. Just let the imagination run wild. If i were making that special one or two ornament then I would do my own base but for selling these people will not pay for the base too. I sell the stands for $3 and it gets good sales. No I did not make them. Taking some brass wire or even copper wire would not be hard to twist and then shape. Some people even turn a stand completely from wood. I will be doing some different things over the summer so will see. I have many of those sea shells that people make ornaments from and that is on my list also. I started 3 years ago and never got to finish a couple I started.

Just another little tease the billiardball clocks that I make will take me to another idea with these ornaments and who knows may see a billiardball base. Sooooo many ideas.

Just another one of those fun projects.

Last edited:
Top Bottom