See more from dalemcginnis

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
tn_PICT0031.jpg

Orange Osage with polyurethane clear gloss finish

tn_PICT0032.jpg

Cherry wood from Dave at woodknots. Polyurethane clear gloss finish. Thanks Dave for the advice
tn_PICT0033.jpg

Another view.

And finally, my worst moment at the lathe so far. I think I bent my mandrel?[xx(]
tn_PICT0035.jpg

Trying to turn some of the leftover Orange Osage into a pen. Section chipped off down to the tube.:( So, decided to strip the rest off of that section. I think I may have got a tad bit aggressive.:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Glad you are not hurt! Being too aggressive should be a great lesson to all of us!

On a side note:I am not that experienced with many brands of Live Centers, but my LC that looks like that one is not a 60° center. Is that one a 60° LC?

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Yes, that is the stock LC that came with the lathe. Been to busy spending my money on wood and pen kits to get around to replacing the LC, but it is on my list.
The bent mandrel was pure unadulterated operator error though. Been having a bad day, that was the third blank I had blow out on me while trying to turn it. The first was Cocobolo which I have been struggling with, then some Walnut which I had previously turned with no problems, and finally the Orange Osage. [:(] At that point I was ready to make wood chips and you see the result.[}:)]

The Ironic thing is before trying to turn the O. O. I decided to check to see if my difficulties were the result of a bent mandrel. It wasn't then, but it sure is now.[:D]

The good news is as soon as it popped out of the LC it came loose from the headstock and immediately stopped in the position you see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom