Couple of Bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

After watching the two Bill Grumbine videos that BigRob had for sale, I decided I was now a bowl turning "expert"...not! ;) However, the things I picked up kept my unexpected "catches" while hollowing down to a more manageable level. The videos were great and I expect my bowls to get better with practice as I saw with my pens.

First bowl was an aromatic red ceder full of cracks and knots, but sure did make the basement smell like a hamster cage. Second was my first attempt at a square bowl. This one was from some 6"x6'x2" cherry stock. Comments/suggestions/critques accepted as always and thanks for looking. Rob

200722521239_RedCedar.jpg

2007225212330_SquareCherry.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Looks like you're off to a pretty good start. They're both nice, but I think I prefer the look of the cedar. I guess its a shame that you'll just have to practice some more. Such is life.

LEAP

Pretty Nice, I've watched the Grumbine videos about three times each but haven't chucked up a block yet. I'm still playing with small boxes and kaleidoscopes. I've put a picture of a one way lathe on my desktop maybe the boss will take the hint and get me one for fathers day.

dubdrvrkev

Both look real nice. The square bowl is a LOT better than my first few attempts at them. Keep up the good work. I think Bill's videos are amoung the best there are for bowl turning.

Rifleman1776

Nice work. You are to be complimented for sticking with the cedar. It is a very brittle wood that, on one hand, is easy to turn. But, on the other hand, can fly apart with a tiny catch on a knot. I like them both.

byounghusband

First bowl was an aromatic red ceder full of cracks and knots, <u>but sure did make the basement smell like a hamster cage.</u>

Rob, you hit the nail on the head!! LOL!!
I recently cut up two Cedar Shrub stumps and then rounded a bunch of pieces on the bandsaw into bowl blanks. The smell reminded me of something, but I couldn't recall exatly what it was. [?]

The garage still smels like a, uh, Hamster Cage, yeah that's it....

Thanks Man!!![;)][;)]

whatwoodido

Rob-
You couldn't have chosen much more difficult forms for your first ventures into bowls. Try you hand at shallower bowls initially, you will find that the tools are much more friendly. The square bowl is interesting, how bad was the sanding along the bottom of the bowl?

Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom