Commissioned Dizzy Gillespie Ceramophone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

This was a fun commission: a jazz lover asked me to "bring Dizzy Gillespie back to life - in any way possible".

I came up with this simple idea which I (humbly) call a Markison Ceramophone; consists of a hand thrown (black mountain cone 10) ceramic base with a sgraffito technique portrait of Dizzy scratched through a thin layer of porcelain back to the darker clay body when leather dry, base then bisque fired at cone 6, then clear-glazed and final fired at cone 10, Bluetooth wireless speaker fitted into the scroll-sawn cone (concentric 1cm thick rings cut at 28 degree angles into 3/4" thick pine, then reassembled and glued up)/lathe finished using Cole jaws and then shellacked to capture mid and high tones (ceramic base acts as "woofer"), cone then fitted into the base; music beamed from cell phone or other device via Bluetooth from up to 30' away - nice full warm sound (customer happy, now wants Django Reinhardt, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Sarah Vaughan and John Coltrane ceramophones - but willing to wait a while):
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

More fun ahead.

Best regards, Bob

Attachments

• MarkisonCeramophone1,800px,sm.jpg
    MarkisonCeramophone1,800px,sm.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 823
  • MarkisonCeramophone2,sm.jpg
    MarkisonCeramophone2,sm.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 814
  • MarkisonCeramophonesgraffito800px,sm.jpg
    MarkisonCeramophonesgraffito800px,sm.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 811
  • MarkisonCeramophonespeaker1,800px,sm.jpg
    MarkisonCeramophonespeaker1,800px,sm.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 782
  • MarkisonCeramophonespeaker3.jpg
    MarkisonCeramophonespeaker3.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 783
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tjseagrove

And I actually knew what you were talking about with the ceramics. Have a potter in my house who has done many firings at the studio...

Great imagination and work there combining 2 disciplines for a very unique end result.

Bob in SF

Many thanks, Chris, Jim, Cody, and Tom!

I see the potter's wheel as a vertical lathe with a different kind of mess.

Here's the set of prototypes that I made to test the validity and versatility of the concept:
attachment.php

Have a fine weekend everyone.

- Bob

Attachments

• MarkisonCeramophoneGroup,800px.jpg
    MarkisonCeramophoneGroup,800px.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 636

Charlie_W

Very, Very Cool Bob!

I am sure your customer appreciates your concept, design and execution in this project. Your mixing your art mediums and adding the electronics makes this a very special art piece!

Please post pics of the others as you get to them.

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
This was a fun commission: a jazz lover asked me to "bring Dizzy Gillespie back to life - in any way possible".

I came up with this simple idea which I (humbly) call a Markison Ceramophone; consists of a hand thrown (black mountain cone 10) ceramic base with a sgraffito technique portrait of Dizzy scratched through a thin layer of porcelain back to the darker clay body when leather dry, base then bisque fired at cone 6, then clear-glazed and final fired at cone 10, Bluetooth wireless speaker fitted into the scroll-sawn cone (concentric 1cm thick rings cut at 28 degree angles into 3/4" thick pine, then reassembled and glued up)/lathe finished using Cole jaws and then shellacked to capture mid and high tones (ceramic base acts as "woofer"), cone then fitted into the base; music beamed from cell phone or other device via Bluetooth from up to 30' away - nice full warm sound (customer happy, now wants Django Reinhardt, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Sarah Vaughan and John Coltrane ceramophones - but willing to wait a while):
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

More fun ahead.

Best regards, Bob
Gorgeous!

Bob in SF

Many thanks, Cindy!

You'd be surprised at the warmth, resonance, and presence that comes out of the 1cm wall thickness pine wood speaker - and fun to make.

Warm regards, Bob

OZturner

Incredible range of Skills Bob.
Is there no end to your Range of Interests, and Talents.
The only burning question I have, is "How do you find the Necessary Time."
I have been retired since Early 2000, and I just wouldn't have sufficient time to perform a Quarter of what you Undertake and Achieve.
I know the Old Adage, "That if you want something Done, Give it to the Busiest Person".
On that Basis, Bob, looks like a lot more is going to be coming your Way.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Bob in SF

Many thanks for the kind words, Brian.

One of my time-turning points was when I met Stephen LaBerge, PhD - "Father" of lucid dreaming - i.e. driving your dreams without awakening. His books and Robert Waggoner's book are fine guides. If you prefigure your work "in the dreamscape", you get into the shop and the job is done before it begins. This is also what I learned when I became a jazz musician in my teens - unique (musical) stories which are shared "waking dreams".

Happy THursday - Bob

Top Bottom