Comford Ring Cores

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from scotian12

scotian12

Has anyone had experience with the new Artisan Comford Ring Cores from CSUSA? Does the thin veneer dry out and slit on the ring core. What is the best type of material to use? Thanks Darrell Esner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

scotian12

Thank you Mike for your reply. Very good advice for an item that will get a lot of wear. Does anyone else have any experience with these ...ie how many sizes would you make or would you just take custom orders. How to handle sizing? Thanks Darrell

MTViper

Here's a post I placed on the thread "Hollowing Rings" below:

I made the attached pair this weekend. In fact I made both of the twice. I drilled a series of Forstner bit holes in a waste board and tested the inserts for fit. I used the Forstner bit closest to the right size for each ring insert to bore the holes on the lathe after I turned the blank round. Then I took it off the lathe and used 80 grit sandpaper to get it to the final size I needed. I was using Purple Heart rather than one of the stabilized woods or synthetics. That's what the customer requested. One was a 10mm ring and the other a 3mm ring.

The first blank for the 3mm ring broke in half when I took it off the double sided tape. Let the glue dry for 48 hours then turned the rings. Turned the 10mm ring first. Had it almost down to size and was going to make one more tiny shaving pass when the blank shattered. Turned another one and glued it the insert and let it dry while I turned the 3mm ring. It turned easier than the 10mm ring for some reason. By the time the glue was dry, I was ready to turn the 10mm again. Customer was happy. Waiting to hear his wife's reaction. They are a surprise.

Attachments

• PH rings02.jpg
    PH rings02.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 213

J-D pens

If you need tutorials I have some, I make the 2 piece cores also see my Facebook page @ringandmandrel

Attachments

• 766ACB87-8225-40E0-A080-277DD6EAA871.jpg
    766ACB87-8225-40E0-A080-277DD6EAA871.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

fernhills

I have been making, or i should say experimenting with them. I got a few cores in from CSUSA along with a couple of bushing. I made a acrylic one by CSUSA instructions, it went well but i got to much epoxy inside of the core and scratched it trying to get it off. They are not the two piece type. I want to wrap it around the core like you do with bentwood rings. I feel like that should solve the problem of having to have to use stabilized wood. I can make my own veneers. I made some bentwood rings and was very impressed on how strong they were for not much thicker than a wooden match stick. So with a metal core, they should be very strong. Carl

Top Bottom