Collaboration with my hubby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mrs. Charlie_W

This is an 8" soft maple platter turned by my hubby (Charlie Wortman) and embellished by me. Embellishments include pyrography, acrylic paint, and India ink. I created a "hammered" texture on all non burned or painted surfaces with a reciprocating tool and finished with 1 coat wipe on poly, buffed, and then finished out with a little Ren wax and final buffing. This would not be possible without the fabulous tutelage from Cynthia C. Gibson at John C. Campbell Folk School this summer.

Attachments

• IMG_1948.jpg
    IMG_1948.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_1949.jpg
    IMG_1949.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 282
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

Beautiful!

I have seen so much of your work in person that I know that this thing is so much more than the photograph can show. I am sorry I won't get to see it next month at the CAW meeting.

You and Charlie are fabulous!

(...but I gotta know where you got the picture done. BTW, I just got a new vinyl sheet for a nice smooth background, but I won't get to use it in August!)

Charlie_W

Thanks for the compliments but I must say it was my Wonderful Wifey who turned this plain Jane turning into a great piece and deserves the credit.
Here is a better pic of the hammered texturing on a sample piece of the same soft maple.

Attachments

• IMG_9175.jpg
    IMG_9175.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 242

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful artistry! You two are awesome. I love seeing your collaborations.

This one is especially nice.

Thank you all for your encouraging comments. I sometimes find myself seeing the flaws in what I do instead of focusing on the beauty. Thank you for giving me that boost of confidence to continue to collaborate with my hubby and to change my focus.

Charlie_W

Beautiful!

I have seen so much of your work in person that I know that this thing is so much more than the photograph can show. I am sorry I won't get to see it next month at the CAW meeting.

You and Charlie are fabulous!

(...but I gotta know where you got the picture done. BTW, I just got a new vinyl sheet for a nice smooth background, but I won't get to use it in August!)

Michael,
In answer to your question about the photo, it was taken in my Wifey's "Woman Cave"......her quilting area in the basement!

My low tech setup:
The pics will show the background. I was using some white poster board but realized how yellow it looked compared to this easel paper.
The easel paper has a sticky strip at the top edge so I just peel off a couple of sheets and stick them to the quilt rulers hanging on the wall behind the cutting table.
As for lighting, the fluorescent tubes are "Sunshine" and the clamp on lights have 5,000K spiral bulbs.
Photos were taken with my iPad.
Nothing fancy but works for me!

Attachments

• IMG_5593.jpg
    IMG_5593.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_5594.jpg
    IMG_5594.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_5595.jpg
    IMG_5595.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 190