Cocktail Table

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dryder

dryder

White oak with walnut accents. Laminated bent wood for the legs. Butcher block top.

Attachments

• finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 244
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 210
  • legs.jpg
    legs.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 252
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That my friend that is some mighty fine woodworking. I always love looking at projects like this. The amount of work and thought process is tremendous but it does show. The techniques and jigs used to make this is all part of the project and a necessary one. Thanks for showing. Love it.

dryder

Thanks

Thank you for the kind words.

The design process was just as long as the build. I had a full scale mock-up built from 2x4's. It took 5 iterations to get the legs right. The top came a lot easier. I pretty much do everything by eye these days, kicked working drawing to the curb.

It took three jigs. A form for the legs, bandsaw circle template (finally an excuse to build one), and a router circle template for the inlay in the top.

It's also kind of cool that the wood was harvested from my yard. I had several oak tress taken down that were too close to the house. Then, I had a portable saw mill come slice it all up. There ended up being more wood than I'll use in my lifetime.

Bikerdad

Very, very nice work. Bent laminations is a technique I'll be diving into at some point in the future, I'm looking forward to it. It opens up a world of design possibilities.

dryder

SHop Smith

Was it done on the Shop Smith?

Shop smith didn't get used much. The bandsaw and the jointer did the bulk of the machining. That and lots and lots of clamps. Finally got a chance to really break in the MM16. I did use the 12" disc sander on the SS to make the flat spots for the center mortises.

Here is one of the legs cooking. I think this one hit the scrap bucket because it doesn't have the walnut accent.

Attachments

• glue leg.jpg
    glue leg.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 135
Top Bottom