Clock for Grandbaby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 1dweeb

1dweeb

I started making clocks for my kids when they find that they are expecting their first child. This is the second one I have made and it is quite a bit different than the first. The first one was a grandmother style floor clock but my youngest son and his wife requested a wall hanging clock. I could not find a style that I was happy with so I made them a wall shelf and a mantle clock to go on it. This project has kept me away from pen turning for a while but maybe now that it is complete I might get back to a couple of pens. The wood is cherry, maple, oak and birch. Feel free to comment.

Attachments

• clockand shelf.jpg
    clockand shelf.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 334
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1dweeb

Roy, "time well spent" that's a good one!

Jim, I picked clocks because of a conversation with my wife about cribs. A new baby typically would warrant a crib but my wife thought that once the baby was out of the crib, it (the crib) would just end up in the attic. She wanted something that would be useful and last a lifetime.

1dweeb

Thanks to all for the kind words...The new baby girl arrived yesterday at about 3:00 p.m. and mother and baby are doing great.

CV Wood

WOW! That is great. Beautiful woods. They will be very proud of your work.

jttheclockman

Very nice work on the clock and stand. The stand sets the clock off just right. Is that a glass bezel with a motor or is that an insert clock.:confused: What size is the clock face:confused: Thanks for showing.

1dweeb

John T, -- The glass bezel and clock face were an assembly. It has a quartz movement with chime that is mounted inside the case. The through hole is approximately 1/2" for the stem of the quartz movement to come through. I believe the bezel was about 5 1/2 - 6 inches in diameter.

jttheclockman

John T, -- The glass bezel and clock face were an assembly. It has a quartz movement with chime that is mounted inside the case. The through hole is approximately 1/2" for the stem of the quartz movement to come through. I believe the bezel was about 5 1/2 - 6 inches in diameter.

Very good. That is the way I like to see a clock of that caliber made. I am not a fan of the insert type setups that are made to look like the hinged bezel. Nice work and thanks for showing.

1dweeb

clock and shelf

I had a request for a picture of the shelf and clock installed. It is hard for me to get pictures that are clear. Thanks to all who have posted and PM'ed me.

Attachments

• clockandshelfinstalled.jpg
    clockandshelfinstalled.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 126
Top Bottom