Cigar Letter Opener (Cherry)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

A cigar letter opener in Cherry.

Engraved with a recently acquired 1500mw laser. I had planned this to be my first "round" engraving using the 3D printed jig I also recently acquired, but ran into a couple of issues. Primarily it was that I couldn't get the rubber band tracking to be accurate enough - the letters were a bit wobbly in my test. I ended up just taping the blank down to the bed and not worrying about any rotation curvature issues. The blank is about 19mm (3/4 inches) in diameter at the point of the engraving, which is close to the limit of what will clear the bed with the little jig.

I did a couple of coats of Cellulose Sealer/Lacquer and sanded through 2000, then burned. Finished with a couple more coats of Sealer/Lacquer and then some Pens Plus over that. Sanded with some 2000 when I was all done, just to give it more of a satin finish.

My cigar bushings didn't match this kit very well - the finial was considerably smaller than the smallest bushing, which I caught before turning, so no big deal. But heads up if anyone else decides to use this kit.

Attachments

• AmandaLetterOpener-9140.jpg
    AmandaLetterOpener-9140.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 168
  • AmandaLetterOpener-9141.jpg
    AmandaLetterOpener-9141.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 167
Top Bottom