Christmas Ornaments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gketell

Status
Not open for further replies.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Hi all,

New turner and new member. Below are three ornaments I made this season. The first two were created during different WoodCraft classes and the last one was created at home practicing the new skill.

First (and only, so far) hollow-form ornament. About 2" wide zebrawood with blackwood finials.
tn_Holow-1.jpg

First inside-out ornament. Random wood from the class. The internal final was my "oops" fix when I drilled all the way through the bottom by mistake.
tn_First-insideout.jpg

Second inside-out, Pau Fero and Purpleheart.
tn_2nd-insideout.jpg

Feedback welcome!!
GK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
For the inside out ornaments here is a good set of instructions:
http://www.turnwood.net/projects/Inside-OutOrnaments.doc

For the hollow-form you could look at:
http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/turning/articles_482.shtml
which gives a REAL basic overview. The key to these is having small tools for the hollowing. The instructor used a 1/8" allen wrench with the long end in a handle and the sort end sharpened.

Honestly, the hollow-form will look exactly the same hollow or solid. The difference is the weight. If you are planning on hanging it in doorways solid is fine. If you want to hang it in the tree then you need to hollow it.

GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for all the kind words!!

Turning is new, turning is addicting, turning is great fun. I think I'll go turn a pen. [:D]

GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks! The look more fragile than they are, even though they ended up being thinner than planned. Both were dropped (9 thumbs here) and survived undamaged.

My wife tried her hand at ornaments too. This is her 2nd one. She out did me again! Redwood Burl and Blackwood.

tn_Kims-2nd-insideout.jpg

GK

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for all the kind comments!
Now we just need to get a ton more oversized pen blanks so we can make more. I figure making them just before Christmas they sell as "ornaments" but I can (try to) sell them now as "art". :)

GK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom