International Association of Penturners

International Association of Penturners (http://www.penturners.org/forum/)
-   Other Things We Make (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f45/)
-   -   Christmas/Holiday Gift Ideas (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f45/christmas-holiday-gift-ideas-151294/)

mark james 11-04-2017 07:11 PM

Christmas/Holiday Gift Ideas

Lets use this thread to post whatever we are making for this holiday season (Turning - but not exclusively for you flat work folks).

So post away! I have three small bells that I will post tomorrrow. Until then I'll start with a pickie from a few years ago:

View in gallery

View in gallery

View in gallery

The bells will be a bit smaller, but nonethless, FUN!

Ideas for everyone else!

eduardomachado 11-04-2017 07:22 PM

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark james 11-04-2017 07:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I did a quick picture of this years idea... I hope to do better, but will turn 10-15 for family and friends. UTube will give great tutorials.

The next ones will have some segmenting!

TattooedTurner 11-04-2017 08:46 PM

Great idea Mark. My mini acrylic bud vases were a hit with the nurses & MA's at the clinic so I'll be making some to give to them. I turned one today and will make another tomorrow, and probably 2 every weekend for the month. I'll get pics up tomorrow evening.

Full disclosure: After inspecting the one today I need to sand and polish it again since it showed some sanding marks. I tried using abrasive paste without using the first 3 MM pads beforehand and it didn't work out. Trying to save time cost me quite a bit more, lesson learned.

mark james 11-04-2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TattooedTurner (Post 1949118)
Great idea Mark. My mini acrylic bud vases were a hit with the nurses & MA's at the clinic so I'll be making some to give to them. I turned one today and will make another tomorrow, and probably 2 every weekend for the month. I'll get pics up tomorrow evening.

Full disclosure: After inspecting the one today I need to sand and polish it again since it showed some sanding marks. I tried using abrasive paste without using the first 3 MM pads beforehand and it didn't work out. Trying to save time cost me quite a bit more, lesson learned.

Post whatever you got! Even with the blemishes! It will give others some ideas.

TattooedTurner 11-05-2017 12:41 PM

Twig pot/Bud vase #1. I cast the blank with Silmar 41 and colored with Pearl Ex turquoise & bronze mica powders and Castin' Craft (dark) green dye. I recently got the powders and it's the first time I've used Pearl Ex. It costs several times more than the mica I buy direct from China but the colors are brilliant.

View in gallery

View in gallery

View in gallery

View in gallery

mark james 11-05-2017 07:02 PM

Nice Jay!!!

What are the approximate starting dimensions?

TattooedTurner 11-05-2017 08:23 PM

Thanks Mark. I cast blanks for these anywhere from 3.5"-4.5" tall and 2" diameter. They're actually mini twig pots, but I've given a few as birthday gifts with little artificial flowers in them to some ladies where I work and they love them, and they only take a tiny bit of space on their desks. I got busy doing some shopping today and only turned one after I was done, sanding & polishing can wait until I get home from work tomorrow, along with the cleanup. What a mess!

mark james 11-05-2017 08:30 PM

Thanks Jay. I have a bunch (like too many) of nice spindle blanks that size, so I'm gonna steal your design and play this week. I've got 4 relatives that this would fit their interests.

TattooedTurner 11-05-2017 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark james (Post 1949344)
Thanks Jay. I have a bunch (like too many) of nice spindle blanks that size, so I'm gonna steal your design and play this week. I've got 4 relatives that this would fit their interests.

Cool! Glad I could help out even if I was completely unaware of it. As for stealing my idea, I stole yours for making modified slimlines so this makes us even! :biggrin:

I actually turn these like a bottle stopper, the only difference being that I sand/finish the top before threading onto the mandrel since it obviously shows. It leaves a little mark if the top is concave but so far the buffing wheels have taken care of that. Strangely enough, it doesn't leave a mark if the top is convex, I can't figure that one out. Yes, the hole is threaded, but that's not even noticeable once a few flowers are in it.