Christmas is coming!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bobleibo

bobleibo

Every Christmas I try to make gifts rather than buy them. Not wanting people to start saying "Wonder what kind of pen Bob is making this year", I decided to venture off into the coffee world where most of my friends reside. Here are the ones that are done – so far. Hopefully done by Christmas.
C and C welcome !!!
Picture 1
Top row L – R
Ambrosia Maple
Walnut, Paduak and Purple Heart
Purple Heart with Maple segments and Walnut plugs
Paduak with Mahogany segments and Cherry plugs

Bottom row L – R
Apsen from a tree in my yard
Paduak
Mahogany with Purple Heart and Paduak segments
Walnut with Maple segments

Picture 2
Top row L – R
Goncalo Alves
Mahogany with Turquoise inlay and Purple Heart, Maple and Redheart segments
Red Cedar

Bottom Row L – R
Mahogany with Redheart and Walnut segments
Cherry, Walnut and Birdseye Maple
African Mahogany

mugs 4.jpg

mugs 5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Super Dave

Nice job! The only problem is you will have to top that next year. It makes a great gift they will cherish with every cup of coffee.

Dave

bobleibo

"Those look great!
How hard are those to make?"

Thank you....after a few dozen, they are easy. I've probably given away 40-50 over the years so I get lots of practice (and have quite a large collection of "mistakes"). One hint is that there are dozens of "ways" to make them. I just developed my own way and off I went. Honestly they are pretty easy, just lots of time involved in some.

"Nice job! The only problem is you will have to top that next year. It makes a great gift they will cherish with every cup of coffee."

Thank you. Next year I think I'll just re-fill their mug with coffee and call it good.

"Makes me want a cup of coffee now. Nice gifts, did you make them from the kits or where did you find the inserts?"

I have never bought one of those kits they sell at the woodworking store - too much $$. I wait until I see them for sale for a few bucks at the big box stores and buy a bunch then just strip out the liner. Just be careful not to use the cheaply made ones. I do a lot of flat work and sometimes the wood for these is left over from other projects. Otherwise I buy what I need from a local wood distributor.
I stop for coffee somewhere at least once a day and always have one of these with me. I've lost count of how many times I get asked about them. I've also lost count of how many times people ask me to make them one - until I tell them how much. Friends get them for free. Others pay and custom orders call for custom prices.

Try one, you'll be hooked!

Last edited:

bobleibo

"very nice! i wouldn't mind making one for myself. where could i find the kit?"

Thank you. The "kit" is nothing more than the stainless liner. You can find a number of instructional videos on You Tube usually under "travel mugs" or something close. Like I said, everyone has their own way and the way YOU do it is usually the best one. Depends a lot on what you are trying to accomplish. Solid blocks are a great place to start - 4"x4"x8". Segmenting is a whole different story. Experiment and you'll be amazed at what you come up with.

"Really nice. Mind me asking what you used for a finish?"

Absolutely not...no secrets here.
- step 1....2 coats of sanding sealer, rough sanded with +/- 240 grit
- step 2.... 4-5 coats of spray lacquer sanded with 00 steel wool between coats, goes very quick. I keep a spray gun can of automotive clear coat handy and simply hook it to my compressor when I'm ready. This makes them pretty durable and they will stand up to daily use for quite some time. I seriously doubt I spend more than 10 minutes combined doing all of this.

Last edited:

bobleibo

"No need to wrap mine.........
Great idea,
Nice work"

Thank you.....no wrapping included

"What beautiful set of mugs, like the variety of beautiful woods used. Great designs and finish. They are great gifts for sure. Well done!"

Thank you! They are fun to make and only your imagination limits the possibilities.

Top Bottom