Chisel Handles and New Mallet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from THarvey

THarvey

I enjoy finding and restoring old hand tools.

Here are a few chisel I recently rehandled.

The three curved socket chisels are handled with recycled Maple from a discarded workbench top, with leather bolster pads.

The tang chisel handle is turned from hard maple and includes brass ferrule and bolster. The brass are plumbing nuts, threaded on a tenon then turned the corners off.

Finally, I decided those new chisel handles deserved a new mallet. This is one heavy hitter. Bloodwood and Curly Maple mallet. Curly Maple handle passes through the head and is secured with two Bloodwood wedges. Mounted leather on the faces to protect the chisels and mallet. Plus, a shiny new 2015 penny to note the year made. The mallet is finished with a healthy dose of Danish Oil.

Attachments

• Curved Chisels - Maple Handles.jpg
    Curved Chisels - Maple Handles.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 934
  • Tang Chisel - Maple & Brass.jpg
    Tang Chisel - Maple & Brass.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 516
  • Mallet - Bloodwood & Maple - All.jpg
    Mallet - Bloodwood & Maple - All.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 399

magpens

Love your work, especially the mallet !! About the brass ferrules on the chisel .... did you turn the plumbing nuts after you threaded them on or before? Oh ... I reread and see that you threaded them on first and then turned them. Hmmm .... how did you mount the handled chisel in the lathe ?

Last edited:

THarvey

Love your work, especially the mallet !! About the brass ferrules on the chisel .... did you turn the plumbing nuts after you threaded them on or before? Oh ... I reread and see that you threaded them on first and then turned them. Hmmm .... how did you mount the handled chisel in the lathe ?

Correct: Turn tenon first - I leave most of the stock square and mount it in my bench vise to thread the nut on. Work slow and the nut will cut its own thread (turn it down a little, back off and clear debris. Repeat until fully seated.) After cutting the threads, I remove the nut and add CA to the nut thread for added security.

I drilled for the tang on my drill press, after installing the nut for the ferrule. I used the mark from the live center to align the drill bit. Then used a 60 degree live center centered on the tang hold to complete the turning.

The brass will turn easily with carbide tools. Then I use a fine file and 400 grit sand paper to finish turned brass.

The ferrule is a compression nut, which is thin walls. The bolster is a flare nut, which had thicker walls and can take a pounding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom