Checkerboard Ringmaster Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Glued up some wood into a flat checker board pattern and then made a bowl from it .
Started out like this

Checkerboard1.jpg

It only has a shellac sanding sealer at this point. When I set up my sprayer for a bunch more I will sand it down and apply a lacquer finish .

Checkerboard1-1.jpg

Checkerboard2-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why does the inside of the of the bottom have the checkerboard pattern, but the outside bottom is plain?

The half inch thick maple is glued to the bottom to provide strength to the segments in the bottom as in wood movement over the years.

Looks like a great use of some pen blanks.

Would have to be loooong pen blanks :wink: The bowl is ten inch diameter.

W.Y.

Thanks for all the comments.

Strange and sometimes wild and sometimes wonderful patterns occur when cutting rings from a flat board to form a bowl shape.
Even some simple basic glue ups can display some neat designs.

If I was having more fun I could hardly stand it :biggrin:

robutacion

Thanks for all the comments.

Strange and sometimes wild and sometimes wonderful patterns occur when cutting rings from a flat board to form a bowl shape.
Even some simple basic glue ups can display some neat designs.

If I was having more fun I could hardly stand it :biggrin:

I'm glad for you mate, having fun with what you do is one of the biggest rewards...!

I wasn't expected such a neat job on the checkerboard, just to be cut-off into rings but, looking at the final result, I'm glad you done it in such way as the pattern is just amazingly neat, also...!

Congrats...!

Cheers
George

Hendu3270

Very neat bowl. I can see how someone who didn't know this bowl was cut into rings from a flat piece, would be totally dumb-founded as to how you were ever able to make it. The checkerboard on the sides came out great. Nice job!

Top Bottom