Checkerboard Platter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rossvh

rossvh

I friend gave me this old checkerboard and asked if I could do anything with it. It was warped and cracked but it had a pine backing on it so I decided to try to turn a platter - if it held together. Though I couldn't turn it as deep as I wanted in fear of getting into the pine backing, I think it turned out ok. It's finished with wipe on polyurethane. Comments? Critiques?

RossVH

Attachments

• Checkerboard.jpg
    Checkerboard.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Checkerboard Platter 2.jpg
    Checkerboard Platter 2.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 182
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I can see from the "before" pic, you really had very little thickness to work with. Was the "pucker factor" in play as you were turning, knowing just how close you were to breaking through and ruining the project? It looks as though you squeezed every millimeter of available thickness out of the piece! Nice result.

rossvh

I can see from the "before" pic, you really had very little thickness to work with. Was the "pucker factor" in play as you were turning, knowing just how close you were to breaking through and ruining the project? It looks as though you squeezed every millimeter of available thickness out of the piece! Nice result.
Here is a pic that shows the thickness of both the backing and top. I was really close to going too far.

Attachments

• Checkerboard Platter rough.jpg
    Checkerboard Platter rough.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 89
Top Bottom