Chambered Nautilus; painting for a diver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

A diver friend commissioned this little painting of a chambered nautilus (Nautilus pompilius) to "contemplate the deep" - these guys live at a depth of 1,000 feet, but can withstand 2,000 feet without imploding - watercolor underpainting, acrylic overpainting on an Ampersand Claybord panel, 8x10"; simple handmade hardwood frame:
attachment.php

Happy Thursday to all - Bob
(don't try 2,000 foot depth at home)

Attachments

• ChamberedNautilusPainting,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    ChamberedNautilusPainting,markison,2017,800px.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 336
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful artistry Bob. As a SCUBA diver myself and admirer of the internal symetry of the shell, I have several of the shells.

Thank you for sharing.

Bob in SF

Sincere thanks for the kind words, Mark!

I haven't gone diving for a while - but truly love it.

Amazing to realize that 71% of this planet is covered with water; and the brain (which is 73% water) resides in a circulating bath of cerebrospinal fluid.

Gratefully, Bob

Charlie_W

Neat painting Bob! The shading and shadowing give the shell a realistic appearance. With the frame, it looks as one is peering through a window into the depths of the sea. Well done!

Bob in SF

Heartfelt thanks, Charlie!

I was thinking about the window idea when I made the frame (but not thinking deeply enough).

I did it all over again, I would have painted it on a circular panel, and would have taken the time to make a circular Jules Verne style porthole frame - bolts and all - oh well.

Warm regards from the deep - Bob

Top Bottom