Carriage clock

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KLJ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

A carriage clock will have a handle on it made to carry. . This is more of a Pillar clock. Just my opinion. :)

Nice turnings and nice job.

Last edited:

KLJ

I have never saw a clock like this in person. I googled wood turned clocks and some pictures came that called them carriage clocks, so that is why I called it a carriage clock, mantle clock wood make more sense to me. Thanks for the kind comments, and I will be looking forward to learning more about what a carriage clock really is. Good question that has got me wondering now, will have to do some study or wait here for the answer.

jttheclockman

I have never saw a clock like this in person. I googled wood turned clocks and some pictures came that called them carriage clocks, so that is why I called it a carriage clock, mantle clock wood make more sense to me. Thanks for the kind comments, and I will be looking forward to learning more about what a carriage clock really is. Good question that has got me wondering now, will have to do some study or wait here for the answer.

Basically any clock that has a handle can be called a carriage clock. You see those in wood with a brass handle and are mantle styles. Put a handle instead of the finial on top and it is a carriage clock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carriage_clock

What you have is a pillar clock which is basically a mantle clock that has pillars for support of the clock. You chose to turn the pillars or make spindles as they are called.

Last edited:

KLJ

After a quick search, I think John is right about the handle, I saw some called mantle, and bandstand also, I would like to know what is the right answer, but for sure it is a clock.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I could care less what you call it - It is wonderful! I have wanted to give a go at one of these (saw some pictures... forget the "name" LOL). Appears to be a set of reasonable turnings, so maybe its within my skill-set.

Very nice, thanks for sharing your "Thingy..."

jttheclockman

After a quick search, I think John is right about the handle, I saw some called mantle, and bandstand also, I would like to know what is the right answer, but for sure it is a clock.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to know. I have a little bit of knowledge in this area. Mantle clocks are basically small clocks without handles that gets put on a mantle. That is a generic term.

Your clock can be called a bandstand clock also because it resembles a bandstand of yesteryear. You see bandstands in parks with a gazebo over them. It can be called a mantle clock but like I said it is a generic term. A carriage clock can be a mantle clock if you choose to call it that.

The one thing it is definetly not a carriage clock. Take that to the bank. :) If you are looking for a distinct name, pillar clock or bandstand clock. Your choice.

By the way any clock can be called a shelf clock instead of mantle clock too.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Not to belabor the point or to take away from your posting which is very nicely done but you opened this up.

Here is a clock I made and is a QueenAnn style clock which could be called a mantle clock because it was designed to sit on a mantle but it is actually called an Anniversary clock because I added the rotating mechanism called a torsion pendulum. On a real anniversary clock that keeps the clock movement but in my case it is a show piece and a quartz movement. My point is many names can be attached to a clock but some are just generic such as QueenAnn, Mantle, I could have called it a pillar clock if it did not have the pendulum or I could have called it a bandstand clock too. But the final name is anniversary clock because of the torsion pendulum . OK enough with this. :):):)

Attachments

• 656Queen_Ann_Clock-med.jpg
    656Queen_Ann_Clock-med.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

jttheclockman

you 2 are just amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If there is something you do not like about what I said spit it out. You are not shy other times.

Last edited:

CREID

A carriage clock will have a handle on it made to carry. . This is more of a Pillar clock. Just my opinion. :)

Nice turnings and nice job.
Funny, that's the first thing I thought when I saw the picture. And I'm not even a clock guy.
But it is a nice piece.

MRDucks2

you 2 are just amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If there is something you do not like about what I said spit it out. You are not shy other times.

Lol. It's not all about you John.

My comments were not directed toward any one. Actually you were making your second post as I was making mine and it is quite the same point I was considering... these days, for the most part, what people call clocks has little to do with what the clocks would have been called in their era of invention, origin or greatest use.

Your follow-up was spot-on.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

jttheclockman

Lol. It's not all about you John.

My comments were not directed toward any one. Actually you were making your second post as I was making mine and it is quite the same point I was considering... these days, for the most part, what people call clocks has little to do with what the clocks would have been called in their era of invention, origin or greatest use.

Your follow-up was spot-on.

Well I was the only one who was trying to answer the OP's question so it kind of looks like it was directed at me and when your buddy Mark piles on not sure how else to take it. It sure wasn't the OP all he was doing was trying to get a little education. If you or Mark have more to tell him jump in and have at it. Trying to read through these little cryptic quotes is not my thing.

MRDucks2

I simply took it that Mark happened to also enjoy the Parable and/or the Poem of the Blind Men and the Elephant.

I used to keep two lines of it on my wall, including the one quoted, to remind myself and others of how management seemed to work at one of my sites... of which I was a member of management.

magpens

I really like the poem, partially quoted by Mike and then more by Mark (obviously showing off his literary knowledge :):):biggrin: to not be outdone by Mike :)).

Not quite sure how it actually applies to the case in point but it's a highly amusing poem to be reminded of.

Great for a laugh now and then !

Going to have to look up more work by that poet as I can always do with a few more laughs wherever I can get them !! :)

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_poems_of_John_Godfrey_Saxe/The_Blind_Men_and_the_Elephant

Thanks, guys, for reminding me about this timeless and witty bit of literary humor !!

Last edited:

KLJ

Thanks to all for the kind comments and knowledge. Mark I am sure you will have no problem making one of these. I didn't have any dimensions, just a picture to go by and that added to the time involved, I will be glad to share them if you would like, or let you enjoy the figuring and designing process.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks to all for the kind comments and knowledge. Mark I am sure you will have no problem making one of these. I didn't have any dimensions, just a picture to go by and that added to the time involved, I will be glad to share them if you would like, or let you enjoy the figuring and designing process.

No worries Keith. It looks like a very nice project with manageable turning skills if the elements are broken down.

I rate myself as an average penturner, but a below average spindle/bowl turner; so this is kind-of within my skill-set, but will be fun and up my skills!.

A new adventure - that is very nice and I thank you. Many folks don't appreciate what their posts/pictures inspire in others. This clock/"thingy"... LOL,... was a great project for you, but as with some of my projects, it spurred others to work on the same concept. Which is great, IMO. THANK YOU!

I appreciate seeing your picture.

Last edited:
Top Bottom