Can't find the thread...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Warren White

Warren White

...a few days (maybe a week or more) ago, someone posted some excellent pictures of bowls they had finished with Polymerized Tung Oil.

I can't find the post. I would like details on which PTO they used and where they bought it.

Thanks for any and all help. I really want to try this finish.

Warren

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I was interested in seeing what you were looking for so I did a search for "Polymerized" and then "Bowl" and last "tung oil". I didn't find anything but only went back to about January.

Hope you find it.

Warren White

Yup!

That is what I discovered using the same search criteria. This was a thread about finishes, and the person who posted was not the person who started the thread.

He had a number of pictures with his post that showed bowls he had finished with PTO. They were very nice, and I would like to find out more about his technique.

Thanks for trying to help, though.

WW

magpens

There is an IAP member with username W.Y. (no space) who posts a lot of his work related to bowls. Searching his threads might be a useful avenue to explore.

PenPal

Hi Warren an answer is in the US Sutherland Welles Ltd give a detailed answer to all your questions,they import Tung Oil pure from China.

See Also Lee Valley.

I will call you my tomorrow Saturday further to this.

Kind regards Peter.

monophoto

Here's the product that I use - https://www.dtep.com/hc02001.htm

It's available from a number of suppliers on line, but shipping is a problem because it's a chemical and because it's heavy. You can check your local hardware stores - the big chains (eg, Ace) don't appear to carry it, but if you are lucky enough to have an old-fashioned family-owned store nearby, they may have it.

I use it several ways:
1. As a standalone finish. In this instance, I wipe on a thinned (1:1 in turpentine) coat, let it dry for an hour, and then wipe off any excess. Then, I wipe on several more coats straight from the bottle, wiping off the excess after about an hour. Wait a couple of hours between applications. After it cures for a few days (better yet, a week), buff.
2. To make a 'long-oil varnish' by mixing it 1:1:1 with turpentine and a good quality Alkyd varnish - I use McCloskey's. This is a wipe on, wait an hour and wipe off the excess, let it cure overnight, and repeat process. The result is very similar to Waterlox.
3. To make a lacquer-based friction polish by mixing it 1:1:1 with a brushing lacquer and lacquer thinner. Wipe on, spin at high speed while wiping to create heat, and repeat the process for several applications (I typically use three).

Top Bottom