CANOE BUILD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

I have been an absentee of the pen business since my dismal Christmas season. I decided it was time to step away and start a bit larger project so when I was tired of the shop I could go fishing. Classically these are called cedar strip canoes, I used poplar, eastern red cedar and western red cedar for my build. I am currently about half done with it and wanted to share it with the people who have been part of my world for the last few years. I am currently sanding the inside to prep it for fiberglass. then a couple of seats, gunwales and thwart. build a matching paddle then I will be ready for a few trips to the river. I have been working on this since Jan 10th

Comments and critiques are welcome and as always thanks for looking.

Phil

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 251
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 276
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 286
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WIDirt

WOW! That is some nice work! What book and model did you choose to make?

I have all the books for building canoes, and with the purchase of a new house and acreage, am in the planning stages for a new shop/barn/RV shed. SWMBO has given tacit agreement that a canoe and kayaks are high on the priority list once that is built!

Living in an apartment sucks! No lathe time, no shop time, no making things at all...

Can't wait!

Talltim

That is beautiful. I am actually surprised how fast you finished it, if you started it in January.

Just think of all the pen blanks I could get out of that if I cut it up. —-just joking.

You can really be proud of what you have done.

Last edited:

firewhatfire

It is a Merimac Canoe 16 ft model. I will look and see what book it is when I get home. I hope to finish it by April

WOW! That is some nice work! What book and model did you choose to make?

I have all the books for building canoes, and with the purchase of a new house and acreage, am in the planning stages for a new shop/barn/RV shed. SWMBO has given tacit agreement that a canoe and kayaks are high on the priority list once that is built!

Living in an apartment sucks! No lathe time, no shop time, no making things at all...

Can't wait!

stonepecker

PHIL....... :highfive: That is wonderful. Much thought and work have gone into this project. I admire your ambition for building this. Would love more pictures when completed. This is going to be a treasure you can enjoy.

How many hours do you think you have into this?

Love the colors and design. Congratulations! :bananen_smilies046:

firewhatfire

Being I made some huge rookie mistakes I have a large number of extra hours in the sanding of it. I have at least 40 hours in sanding along. I wish I had kept a log of time spent doing it. I have about 1/3rd of the inside sanded at this point with about 6 hours into it. It will be sanded 2 more times before fiberglassing and the sanding will continue. Then the Varnish starts.

PHIL....... :highfive: That is wonderful. Much thought and work have gone into this project. I admire your ambition for building this. Would love more pictures when completed. This is going to be a treasure you can enjoy.

How many hours do you think you have into this?

Love the colors and design. Congratulations! :bananen_smilies046:

keithncsu

Wait a minute...you've almost built an entire canoe by hand in roughly 2 months?? That is incredibly impressive. The last two months for me have felt like I would have considered building a sandwich from scratch as impressive...

Well done!

Top Bottom