Can you name the wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Finatic

Finatic

I was gifted with a beautiful North Carolina Burl today. The giftor had no idea what kind of tree it might be, and I have no idea either. I'm hoping with the collective knowledge here you could help me out. Photos were taken with my I phone, I hope they are good enough. Thanks.
Russ

Attachments

• IMG_1521.jpg
    IMG_1521.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1522.jpg
    IMG_1522.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1523.jpg
    IMG_1523.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 211
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hosspen

The pinkish color of interior and the bark make me think it is Dogwood. It is our state flower in NC (& a few other states I think)(because of the beautiful spring blossoms it has).
I've seen a few burls on dogwood in the woods but never knew if they were solid or hollow.
Dogwoods are usually a small tree but are a tough wood. (sometimes used for wooden wedges or "gluts" I think. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Finatic

The pinkish color of interior and the bark make me think it is Dogwood. It is our state flower in NC (& a few other states I think)(because of the beautiful spring blossoms it has).
I've seen a few burls on dogwood in the woods but never knew if they were solid or hollow.
Dogwoods are usually a small tree but are a tough wood. (sometimes used for wooden wedges or "gluts" I think. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Hoss, the trunk of the tree was large, maybe 18-24" But I'm tending to agree with you about being dogwood. Very good possibility. Thanks.

Top Bottom