A bunch of birdhouse ornaments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alankulwicki7

alankulwicki7

Hey all,
Here are some more birdhouse ornaments for your viewing pleasure.

I made about 25 of the hanging style for an upcoming show while I tried something different for the 'birdhouses on a pedestal' :). I love doing the ones with the bark still on them. I also made a double decker birdhouse for the first time. It will be interesting to see how that one is received!

The woods include Cherry, Walnut, Ash, Boxelder, Apricot, Curly Maple, Lilac shrub and more

C & C Welcome!

Attachments

• bho2014b.jpg
    bho2014b.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 250
  • bho2014a.jpg
    bho2014a.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 286
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love the ones with the bark on them! Did you do anything to seal them so the bark won't eventually fall off?

Very cool!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Last year I made a larger house: 8" H x 4" W, and hollowed it enough, and with a larger hole and put a small (artificial) bird nest INSIDE with the bird in the nest; also ava from Craft stores. I'll look, I think I may have another one somewhere.

alankulwicki7

what store has those small scale of bird. or are they bigger than what I judge. I had to get some off eBay 5/8" to work with the ones I have made.

I bought the birds online. I can't remember the site but it was something like this: Cardinal Mushroom Birds 1" 2/Pkg MD20023

The cardinals are about 1" long but the other birds are about 3/4".

I love the ones with the bark on them! Did you do anything to seal them so the bark won't eventually fall off?

Very cool!

I don't do anything to the bark. I would expect in a controlled environment that the bark would stay like it is. I just make sure that the wood I use is completely dry otherwise it will check after you turn it.

shastastan

Those are really nice. I'm making some using Nish's older kit design. I have to say that it's been labor intensive for me.... especially turning the 1/8th perches. I also like the ones with the bark. You've done a really nice job on all of them.

I bought some little minaiture birds from Floral? something. I think is was $14 for 24 birds. I also got some of those little cardinals after I found out the place that had them. I think the birds are a good add on, too.

Stan

alankulwicki7

what store has those small scale of bird. or are they bigger than what I judge. I had to get some off eBay 5/8" to work with the ones I have made.

I bought the birds online. I can't remember the site but it was something like this: Cardinal Mushroom Birds 1" 2/Pkg MD20023

The cardinals are about 1" long but the other birds are about 3/4".

Thank you for link!

You bet!

Those are really nice. I'm making some using Nish's older kit design. I have to say that it's been labor intensive for me.... especially turning the 1/8th perches. I also like the ones with the bark. You've done a really nice job on all of them.

I bought some little minaiture birds from Floral? something. I think is was $14 for 24 birds. I also got some of those little cardinals after I found out the place that had them. I think the birds are a good add on, too.

Stan

When I first started making these I would also turn the perches. That was a big pain IMO so now I just buy 1/8" dowel, cut to about 1" long, sand the ends and stain them different colors. Some may say it's cheating but it sure saves a lot of time!:biggrin:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Oh My... I like cheating!!! That is a great suggestion! Since I'm not too good at turning 3/4" pen blanks... 1/8" perch's are a bit testy... And why waste an Ebony blank when you can dye a poplar dowel!

Nice suggestion!

Last edited:
Top Bottom