BUCKEYE BURL BOWL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 65GTMustang

65GTMustang

This was today's project
10" wide by 4.5" tall
The wall thickness is 1/4"

I have only taken it to the final sanding finish

I am still debating on the finish that I apply to the bowl.

I am considering Walnut Oil
Natural - good shine - plus it is one of the oils that will actually harden after multiple layers.

I would love to get some finish suggestions
I am always looking for the "Perfect" finish

Comments welcome and encouraged.

Thanks
Kevin

BEBB 1.jpg BEBB 3.jpg

BEBB 5.jpg BEBBB 2.jpg

Attachments

• BEBB 2.jpg
    BEBB 2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 179
  • BEBB 4.jpg
    BEBB 4.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 187
  • BEBBB 1.jpg
    BEBBB 1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nate Davey

Beautiful job on this one Kevin. I love Buckeye Burl and have to admit, this is the first bowl I've seen. I think a satin finish would look good on this so the wood is the focal point not the finish. I've done a Deft satin lacquer finish on some of the stuff I've done, doesn't change the color of the wood and gives a nice soft finish.

David Keller

Nicely done, Kevin. The form is a little non-traditional, but it does a great job of showing off that beautiful burl. That's a knockout piece of wood you started with.

As for the finish, I tend to use shellac for an initial coat especially on soft woods like buckeye... It helps me build the final finish faster than just using a penetrating finish like oil. For me, the WOP is hard to beat for a quick and easy finish, but I wouldn't argue against a nice satin oil finish.

65GTMustang

Thanks for the comments -
I should have included a straight on side view photo - The photos listed don't show the bowls true shape - I will try to add a couple
These pics make it look fat and stubby ...LOL

Fred

Fantastic turning. No matter what finish you use on it I bet it will really shine.

Just where did you acquire your original blank? And is there more to be had for what price?

Thanks for posting your excellent bowl. :biggrin:

greggas

Kevin:

Nice work.

I turn a lot of buckeye burl and often use spray lacquer due to the irregular shape in many of the pieces left by the voids in the burl.

One concern with using walnut oil is that i find it darkens the piece quite a bit and can even change the color ....which is not a bad thing always but I have never used it on buckeye since i would be afraid of losing the beautiful natural colors.

just a thought

65GTMustang

Moyehow - Who is your Granddaddy in-law - PM the info Perhaps I know him or members of the same local clubs etc - I could use all the turning friends I can get.

Fred - Check out the website "Got Wood" they have a huge selection and really good pricing - be sure to check out the bargain bin - I bought some Spalted pecan for $4 - they were around 8-9" round and 3" thick - they turned out awesome - the colors are incredible
Here's there website http://www.turningblanks.net/servlet/StoreFront
I think I Paid about $30 for that blank

Greg - Thanks for the finish suggestion

76winger

I've used Formby's tung oil on the few bowls I've done so far. It doesn't darken very much at all, penetrates well, and I don't have any problems with the finall coats drying overnight.

Admission: I haven't tried many of the other finish alternatives yet, so I don't know how they compare.

65GTMustang

Dave - Thanks - Thats actually the first thing I tested on a cut off piece!

Wayne - That's an interesting thought - I use straight Marine Spar on my wooden razor handles for waterproofing - I will try your mix on a Cherry Burl Plate I finished yesterday...
I have already started applying Deft Semi Gloss Lacquer - I build up 6 or 7 layers and then work it back down to a smooth shine with Pumice, Tripoli and Rotten

THANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENTS

wb7whi

Change the acetone to turpintine. You will like it. Actually a formula I got from Russ Fairfield.

Top Bottom