Brush from a busted blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TattooedTurner

I had a blank get stuck in the mold and when I gave it a whack a big piece chipped off. I couldn't make a brush from the remaining blank and being the thrifty guy I am I smashed it all to bits and recast it in white resin. It actually turned out far better than I expected!

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

View in Gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Nice save. Many do this with any left over resin so it can all be used.

Thank you. I never thought of busting up unused resin. I usually just pour it into a mold and when it gets big enough I turn a handle but I admit they can be ugly. Busting the different colored pieces up and recasting would probably have a much better end result.

I have a cup that I pour any left over resin into when I pour. Once it gets full I plan to make a bottle stopper from it if my wife does not claim it first.

I do the same thing but I use a piece of pvc. I learned after the first couple blanks that it doesn't hurt to have a few (or several) cups/pvc molds so you can match complimentary colors with each other. I've had a few that turned out awful simply because the layers of colors didn't go well together at all. The blanks were originally for stoppers but so far they've all become shaving brush handles which I've given away at B&B as "ugly practice brush handles". Truth be told, most aren't so ugly! :biggrin:

LOL - I could see myself bashing the broken blank to bits just for the satisfaction. I don't think i would have thought to use them in a new casting. Win-Win!

It's great to do after a rough day at work! Seriously though, it is a win-win. I dislike wasting expensive resin and will do anything I can to keep waste to a minimum.

Top Bottom