bronzed pinecone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dale Lynch

Dale Lynch

Hi fellas, I bronzed a pinecone and clearcasted it last night.Today I was working on the lathe,all went well.Took it off the lathe and tried to clean up the ends with my belt/disc sander.Could not get it flat,Allways a slight bevel on one edge.Kept trying to get it flat with no sucess,ended up over sanding it.If that wasen't enough my butterfingers let it slip away and go bouncing across the concrete.Pissed me off but I decided to buff it anyway to see how the clarity where it didn't get scratched and how the bronzing came out.

I am really happy about the cast.Really unhappy that I couldn't keep from screwing it up.

What do you think of the bronzing of the pinecone?

Attachments

• DSCF3287.jpg
    DSCF3287.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 277
  • DSCF3289.jpg
    DSCF3289.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCF3288.jpg
    DSCF3288.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 216
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tom T

That is very cool. Extremely nice. Amazing. It doesn't look screwed up to me. It looks great. Thank you for sharing. If you want to screw up another one and send it to me for a price my wife has a paper weight collection. This would be great for it. Her birthday is July 2nd this or one similer would be an awesome gift. Just asking. PM me if you have an interest. Tom

sdkidaho

Can you tell us the process? How do you bronze it? After that do you put it in a block mold to add the resin? Etc...

Dale Lynch

Not sure I want to give up the bronzing just yet.I made a rough mold out of a cedar post,and cast it with clear pr under 80psi overnight.

This was my first attempt so no real process to go by.My casting teq. is a combination of all the casting tutorials in the library.A little bit from this one a little from that one.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Dale - the bronzing is excellent! It reminds me of Xmas ornaments.

And I hope you don't put it on a shelf until it is hand sanded and buffed! I suspect it will be a pain, but very beautiful and with no flaws in the end!

Nice process in the works!

Dale Lynch

It's getting passed aroud right now,even though it isn't fixed.Funny thing is if you hold it up to bright light indoors it looks ho hum iside.Let sunlight hit it,it sparkles and glows.

1080Wayne

Bronzing is excellent . Very difficult to get a flat surface with a belt sander . Use a very light touch holding the piece up to the disc . I use 80 grit on a disc , then go up to 220 by hand with sandpaper lying on a flat surface . Less waste of time and sandpaper unless you have multiple discs set up , but you have to be careful to not start a new rounded edge .

Top Bottom