Box plus wood id

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Parrain

Parrain

I read a revenge post last week where the turner made a pen out of the snake that tried to bite him. Figured now would be a great time to turn wood from the tree that fell on my wife's car.

I thought it was maple (not that I am all that great at wood Id), but I've never seen maple with grain like this. There is some spalting visible, but some of the "spalting" is green instead of black. Anybody know what this is?

a1a218cceffd66ec1cdbcf336daf155e.jpg
f59c1388f64188b94f7195f411ea51a8.jpg
c5ea9c51b0584a0a9e342165935b7c0e.jpg
1e35cf44afb33192e75c2e5297c16451.jpg
bc44e7115f6b4a8aa317e396514c42d9.jpg
6d38dfbcdb7db8cb31d5f2f11b4e9ebe.jpg
Pics of the turned box finished with Howard beeswax and orange oil, a cutoff end (weathered and unfinished sides) and just for fun a pic of the tree after several hours of cutting showing the leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomas

Looks like spalted maple and a smashed car to me. My local Austin Hardwoods store calls this Maple Ambrosia.

Tomas

robutacion

I read a revenge post last week where the turner made a pen out of the snake that tried to bite him. Figured now would be a great time to turn wood from the tree that fell on my wife's car.

I thought it was maple (not that I am all that great at wood Id), but I've never seen maple with grain like this. There is some spalting visible, but some of the "spalting" is green instead of black. Anybody know what this is?

Pics of the turned box finished with Howard beeswax and orange oil, a cutoff end (weathered and unfinished sides) and just for fun a pic of the tree after several hours of cutting showing the leaves.

I agree that is the least you could do but, I don't think the tree has done much damage to the vehicle and her loss of vehicle shade, bugger...!:frown:

As for your first paragraph, I now "someone" that made some decent bush meals out of creatures that tried to bite and kill him, pens were never made with the skins and or other bits but other items, did...! :eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Parrain

Looks like spalted maple and a smashed car to me. My local Austin Hardwoods store calls this Maple Ambrosia.

Tomas

Thanks Tomas. Good to know that I wasn't totally off base. Her car luckily survived with jus a few scratches. I say luckily because before I started my chain saw, you couldn't see her car for the branches. I hate now that most of the smaller branches were sent to the chipper. I saved the bigger stuff for firewood (pre lathe). But I love this grain!

Parrain

I agree that is the least you could do but, I don't think the tree has done much damage to the vehicle and her loss of vehicle shade, bugger...!:frown:

As for your first paragraph, I now "someone" that made some decent bush meals out of creatures that tried to bite and kill him, pens were never made with the skins and or other bits but other items, did...! :eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

George- The price of living in the land of beautiful wood! I bet you have more than a few campfire stories of those bush meals!

robutacion

George- The price of living in the land of beautiful wood! I bet you have more than a few campfire stories of those bush meals!

That, you can be certain of...!:biggrin:

PS: Some cook better with the skin on and after that, ain't too much you could use it for...!:eek::wink:

Cheers
George

Woodchipper

I now "someone" that made some decent bush meals out of creatures that tried to bite
My brother-in-law's cat? It is now gone to that Great Litterbox in the Sky.
Bumper sticker: I like cats. They taste like chicken.

Top Bottom