Bowl Segmenting Sled

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mike8850

Mike8850

I turn a lot of travel mugs (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f45/travel-mugs-136967/) and I'm always looking for ways to make the process go easier.
I found this site on making a segmenting sled and thought it was pretty cool
Segmentology.
Here's a couple of pics of the sled I made and it works great.

IMG_1223.jpg IMG_1225.jpg

Here is my first try I think it turn out really well.

IMG_1232.jpg

For more info check out Seg-Easy web site.

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

That looks like a great special purpose jig, offering safety, repeatability, and appearing relatively simple to construct. :biggrin:

I also noticed you have one of those nice zero clearance TS plates, which accepts easy-to-make "consumable" wooden inserts. The wood insert just slides in a dovetail slot, so that you can make up (or buy) a stack of them, and thus always have near zero clearance on the blade. Over the years I have worked with really small pieces cut on my TS, and this zero clearance plate has been a wonderful upgrade to the ole Unisaw! :wink:

campzeke

Nice jig! Would it be possible to cut the wedgies with a CNC router? I would think if you have the CNC router you would also have some sort of software to lay out the patterns and cut the wedgies. They could be cut out of 1/4" MDF, Baltic birch or just about any type of plastic. Just a thought.

Mike8850

Steve, I've used this insert for around 15 years and it's been one of my better investments. I don't think anyone makes them anymore. Every once in awhile I get on a kick and make about a dozen blank inserts so I always have some ready. Not my idea but I like the little ramp that drops the pieces away from the blade.
Rick, for the few different angles I use the digital angle finder works okay though it would be nice to have a CNC.
Mike

Top Bottom