Bowl profile thoughts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I am going back and forth on whether I like this bowl profile or not. Any thoughts?

5F2B109D-1C17-4585-877E-E13F7842EE0C.jpeg

CEE5AFDF-DB53-41C6-BE51-EE1BD1E13DA7.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I agree with the others also. I like the wood on that also! This is where a cole jaw comes in handy. It looks like there is plenty of meat on the bottom to flatten it down.

Last edited:

Cwalker935

I really did not think about it being top heavy. It did seem pretty stable when I was working with it and I think it would be fine for most stuff but maybe not fruit. In any event, it already has a new home so turning off the bottom is a moot point. I was really thinking about it's aesthetic appeal and not about its utility. Probably not something to repeat.

leehljp

Member Liaison
My mind and thoughts lately have been about the difference between aesthetic design vs utility.

Some people only think of utility, but the big money is in the design dept. They may not sell as fast but they draw the bigger spenders.

I was reading last week about a guy who sells and says - you never know what people will buy. The ones that he thought would not sell were the first ones to go.

Last edited:

bsshog40

My mind and thoughts lately have been about the difference between aesthetic design vs utility.

Some people only think of utility, but the big money is in the design dept. They may not sell as fast but they draw the bigger spenders.

I was reading last week about a guy who sells and says - you never know what people will buy. The ones that he thought would not sell were the first ones to go.
I hear ya Hank! I was about to throw a little bowl I made in the woodstove. It warped out on me a little too much to get it back in shape. The wife loved it, so I sanded a little on the edges, gave it a light finish and gave it to her.

Attachments

• waxed 1.jpg
    waxed 1.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 106

Curly

I think the top half is more shallow bowl/platter/plate like and the bottom transition into the foot is too tall. Now it might just be the way the bowl was posed for the picture giving that impression. The wood looks great. Cherry? And the finish looks good too. Oil and wax? How big is it?

You asked for my thoughts and they are meant to be constructive.

Cwalker935

I think the top half is more shallow bowl/platter/plate like and the bottom transition into the foot is too tall. Now it might just be the way the bowl was posed for the picture giving that impression. The wood looks great. Cherry? And the finish looks good too. Oil and wax? How big is it?

You asked for my thoughts and they are meant to be constructive.

I think part of it is the way the bowl is posed. The bowl is a little over 13" in diameter and the base is around 3.5" in diameter. So the base does not satisfy the 1/3 criteria that many think is appropriate. It is cherry, finished with Howard's feed and wax. I also curved the transition to the bottom in an effort to make it "disappear" into the table. That may also contribute to a taller appearance.

Top Bottom