Bottle stoppers and stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fay Prozora

Fay Prozora

I found these at t he Goodwill today and the hardware came with it as a set. The middle one is a bottle opener, like for a beer bottle or a soda bottle that doesn't have a twist off cap. I plan on making some thing similar. Any way, I unscrewed the little pointed ends and screwed on my own bottle stoppers I made and it really look sharp. Makes the whole thing look a lot better. So I think I can make a display stand similar to this one. The stand is made out of wood. Enjoy, oh I also found some wood I can use for making my pressure pot rack and a cutting board that I plan to make bottle stopper molds out of. That is in the last picture.. Fay

Attachments

• Bottle stopper stand with hardware-1 (640x480).jpg
    Bottle stopper stand with hardware-1 (640x480).jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 328
  • Bottle stopper stand-2 (640x480).jpg
    Bottle stopper stand-2 (640x480).jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 365
  • Wood to work with (640x480).jpg
    Wood to work with (640x480).jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 282
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fay Prozora

At first I wasn't sure that the little points on the set of hardware would come off and they screwed right out and I unscrewed my bottle stoppers from their hardware and screwed mine onto these and they fit perfect and I might leave them on the set. I think I can come up with a different design for a stand for all of my stoppers. I have some that are kind of large. Those little stands would make a nice thing if a person wanted to sell as a set or just use as a display and just sell the stoppers. I don't know if the hardware on this set are chrome or stainless steel. I didn't see any markings on it. The wood and the cutting board will keep me busy for sure. I will walk over to Sears later today to see if they have any drywall screws for the molds I plan to make. I hope I can cut it with no problems. I was reading a thread about some one having trouble with cutting it and it melting and such. I had forgot that I used to cut plexi-glass on my scroll saw and it would melt back together until I put a bunch of blue painters tape all over it. Grrrr..... I think there are certain types of blades that will cut it with no problems. We'll see how it goes. Fay

Bobostro61

Very cool and a nice job. For stopper molds, I use 1-1/2" pvc pipe. The PR pops right out of them once cured. Then they're already round and you don't have corners to knock of.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Very cool and a nice job. For stopper molds, I use 1-1/2" pvc pipe. The PR pops right out of them once cured. Then they're already round and you don't have corners to knock of.

PVC pipe does make a great mold for PR casting, but I believe that Fay likes to use Alumilite which doesn't shrink much making it tough to get out of a PVC tube. I think that's why she's looking at making some HDPE molds for worthless wood casting.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Fay, if that cutting board is made from HDPE, you shouldn't have any trouble cutting it with a scroll saw, table saw or band saw.

If it's anything else (nylon, plexiglass, etc) you could well have melting issues like you mentioned & it probably wouldn't be a good material for making molds because the resin would stick to it.

If you don't know for sure, Curtis (Mesquiteman) suggests trying to scratch it with a fingernail. HDPE will scratch fairly easily - other materials won't. I tried it on a piece of HDPE that I had & my fingernails just aren't that strong, so I used a little screwdriver for the test.

Fay Prozora

I just tried the scratch test on this cutting board I have and it passed so I shouldn't have any trouble. It'll be nice to have these molds made so I will be ready to cast once I get a pressure pot set up and try casting the junk I have and maybe will try to worthless wood too. It'll be awhile before I get the pressure pot set up and such but I'm going to town tomorrow to get the stuff I normally use to cast more blanks. Then I will turn some stuff and use some of my new tools. I'm going to see if Uncle Dick's old air compressor still works that is if he ever had one. If there is one in the shop some where, then I'll test it out and see but not really looking to see because some of his stuff was gotten rid of about 8 years ago when Sis and her husband moved into the house. Any way, it'll be interesting to try casting and creating my own colors and designs and things like that. I have a bottle stopper mold I just repaired tonight and it made me so mad because I squeezed the trigger on the gun thing that had silicone in it and it shot out like a long white snake and it got on me and on the carpet. I fixed the mold and then cleaned up the mess and it was a mess. I wish they would make caps for those tubes. I used tape to close off the nozzle on the tube. When it rains, it pours. Well good night.. Fay

SteveG

Fay, I thoroughly enjoyed your "stream of consciousness" post and can just visualize how your day is going. What comes through is that whatever happens, you are having fun, and dealing with the little setbacks as they come along. Keep having fun. And anyhow, what is there to worry about a little silicone lurking in the carpet??:confused::eek:

Aloha

Top Bottom