Bottle stoppers out of round? - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Other Things We Make
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Other Things We Make Show off your bowls, stoppers, flatwork, etc.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatcher View Post
Did you ever get this issue resolved?
Yes and No.

No, I never heard from PSI, but as with a lot of the stuff we deal with, it seems there is only one manufacturer of a lot of this stuff and it gets resold by various vendors. So I'll have to search long and hard to find machined bottle stoppers.

Yes, as in the fact that I will no longer turn the blanks flush with the 'bushing' end of the mandrel. I will either have them immediately flare out from the metal part so any eccentricity will not be obvious, or I will drill a shallow 1" hole in the blank, concentric with the screw hole, so the end of the stopper is recessed into the blank a bit.

If I ever get a metal lathe, I might look into turning my own, and then using a mold to cast the silicone around it.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #22 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Thad,
I've mentioned this in another thread, but I turn all my bottle stoppers on a pin chuck... I took a 3/8" steel rod, cut it to about 6", ground a flat on one end about an inch long, then mounted in a collet chuck. I use a finish nail cut to the length of the flat. Drill the blank with a 3/8" bit, push it over the flat with the nail in the middle, then twist it away from you... it's pretty secure, you can spin it pretty fast (I turn stoppers at 1900 - that's one of the stops on my Reeves unit).. you have room at the bottom to work on the bottom, just watch not to hit the nail.. it messes up the edge on your tools... if the blanks wants to wobble, use the tail stock until you're ready to do the very top, but if it's secure in the hole, it has to turn concentric to the hole.

As for the stopper inserts, I get all of mine from EZ-Pot.com....

Wholesale Stainless Steel Bottle Stoppers Blanks Kits Wholesale Teardrop Bottle Stopper Kits.

They are all 304 stainless food grade steel and are pretty nice. You can't tell them from anything PSI or Woodturners catalog sells... they are not made in USA, but really who makes that much fuss about where things are made.... we live in a global economy now and if you are in business to make a buck, you work with the best quality components you can get for the least cost. (None of our pen kits are made in USA)

If you look for trouble, it will find you!
TellicoTurning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-05-2017, 03:48 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellicoTurning View Post
Thad,
I've mentioned this in another thread, but I turn all my bottle stoppers on a pin chuck... I took a 3/8" steel rod, cut it to about 6", ground a flat on one end about an inch long, then mounted in a collet chuck. I use a finish nail cut to the length of the flat. Drill the blank with a 3/8" bit, push it over the flat with the nail in the middle, then twist it away from you... it's pretty secure, you can spin it pretty fast (I turn stoppers at 1900 - that's one of the stops on my Reeves unit).. you have room at the bottom to work on the bottom, just watch not to hit the nail.. it messes up the edge on your tools... if the blanks wants to wobble, use the tail stock until you're ready to do the very top, but if it's secure in the hole, it has to turn concentric to the hole.
I've tried similar setups with wood dowels, haven't had a steel rod to use yet, but I can see that working very well. My issue isn't with the chuck, it's dead nuts round. And for getting the edge, I've started using a threaded bushing/washer to offset the blank a bit from the chuck to get that part just right without mucking up the tools.

Quote:

Wholesale Stainless Steel Bottle Stoppers Blanks Kits Wholesale Teardrop Bottle Stopper Kits.

They are all 304 stainless food grade steel and are pretty nice. You can't tell them from anything PSI or Woodturners catalog sells... they are not made in USA, but really who makes that much fuss about where things are made.... we live in a global economy now and if you are in business to make a buck, you work with the best quality components you can get for the least cost. (None of our pen kits are made in USA)
I'll definitely look into them. And I completely agree with the global economy bit. I've bought junk made in the USA, and quality pieces from China, and vice versa.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:

Holy bottle stoppers batman, that's a great selection! And good prices too!
Old 08-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #25 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmotjr View Post
Quote:

Holy bottle stoppers batman, that's a great selection! And good prices too!
If you get on their mailing list, you get notice of periodic sales that are pretty good too.

If you look for trouble, it will find you!
TellicoTurning is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-06-2017, 09:27 AM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 5

The best bottle stoppers are sold by Ruth Niles Niles stainless steel bottle stoppers | FDA approved food contact | made in America | tight fit in various bottles.

John
USN (Ret)
Carolina Piedmont Chapter
walshjp17 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads