Bottle stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Monty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Just wondering if any one else gets asked "What is this?" by customers when they first see the bottle stoppers. I've been amazed at how many people don't know what it is.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Originally posted by Monty
<br />Just wondering if any one else gets asked "What is this?"

All the time. I even have a sign that I put with the display. And still others tell me that they are broken cause they can't get the writing tip to extend.

After I tell them what they are, many people tell me that they don't need such an item because they always kill the bottle.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
For excitement, turn a few handles for bottle openers.

Kids ask mom, "What's that?" Mom will, nearly always, respond, "Can opener!"

Kid and mom walk away. I sit and wonder how long the kid will try to figure out HOW to open a CAN with a BOTTLE opener. (You see folks, once upon a time, long, long, ago, Bottles did NOT have "Twist caps"!!!!!!!)

YES, REALLY!!!

airrat

haha I get that too. Mostly from the guys at work. I take it away from them and say, "when you can figure out what it is you can save the money to buy one".

mick

Funniest thing to see are peoples reaction to the bracelet helpers I make. Even after you tell em what it is and explain how to use it they look at you and I've even had a few wink at me, like "oh ya that's what it is"....lol

jaywood1207

I have an empty bottle that I set beside the bottle stopper display as a visual aid but still get some people asking what it is and also saying they don't need one because they never have a partial bottle. I also have sold a lot of secret compartment key rings lately and I know that there ain't no toothpicks going in them. Does this make me someone who aids in illegal activity. Maybe I should offer the bracelet helpers to go along with the "toothpick" holders as a matching set. [:D]

LanceD

Some people pick up the bottle stopper and hold it in their hand as if they were going to write with it then ask how do you get the refill to come out. I even keep two empty wine bottles with a stopper in each and signs stating what they are.

YoYoSpin

These retail displays seems to get the message across pretty well:
StopSue_11a.jpg
StopSue_7c.jpg

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I've always thought those diplays were beautiful, Ed.

But didn't you once say you didn't sell much from them???

That statement is what has stopped me from making a set, so if I am incorrect, please say so!!

YoYoSpin

No, haven't had that problem. The only issue I've run across with this type display is the shelf space required...roughly 14" wide x 18" tall. I had one consignment shop balk at freeing up that much space for a low priced item like stoppers.

LanceD

I just purchased the one from Ed pictured on the left and used it the first time at a show last Saturday. A lady came over and looked at the stoppers and promptly bought 5 stoppers from the display. Instead of just using the ready made acrylic displays, I think a well made more expensive and professional looking display attracts the more knowledgable customer.

cozee

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />For excitement, turn a few handles for bottle openers.

Kids ask mom, "What's that?" Mom will, nearly always, respond, "Can opener!"

Kid and mom walk away. I sit and wonder how long the kid will try to figure out HOW to open a CAN with a BOTTLE opener. (You see folks, once upon a time, long, long, ago, Bottles did NOT have "Twist caps"!!!!!!!)

YES, REALLY!!!

And beer cans were not made of aluminum nor had pull tabs! Church keys were popular back then!!

Pompeyite

Originally posted by YoYoSpin
<br />Derek,

Absolutely...feel free. You'll find more examples (pen displays too) on my site: http://www.yoyospin.com/products/displays/.

There's a how-to article written on these type displays in issue # 4 (Winter 2005) of Woodturning Design Magazine: http://www.woodturningdesign.com/issues/back.shtml

Thanks Ed, Thats some website you have matey&lt;[:p] Thats the first time I have seen "Magic Wands" on a web site, Please tell me more about them.[8D]

I display my stoppers in a rack, with an empty wine bottle beside it with one of the stoppers in it..there is a card laying in front of the rack with "bottle stoppers" and prices.. still get asked "what are these" .. and like Kenn I've had people try to write with them, think they are plumb bobs, etc.. I'm about to stop making them in favor of the silicon sleeve stoppers.. so many people say the cones "are too big to fit in the fridge".. who puts wine in the fridge anyway..
I also make game calls...and kaleidoscopes.. lots of people pick up the game calls and look up at the light through them, then ask what are these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom