Bottle Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

I have been practiceing some spindel turning lately and decided to do some bottle stoppers. I had not made any of these for probably about 1 1/2 years.

The first one I did looked terrible so I did some searching and tried to figure out what it was about the stoppers I really liked that made them stand out. What I came up with was it was small details and transitions that I really liked. These are what I came up with.
20075111693_Stopper2.jpg

200751116841_Stoppers1.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RonRaymond

All of them look terrific, Mike...the finish and photography are top-notch, also. The few stoppers I have made always seem a little top-heavy to me. Your smaller size looks like just the ticket for my next attempt. Care to identify the woods for us? My favorite is the one on the far right.

tseger

Great job, Mike. I don't turn bottle stoppers, but I have looked at a bunch of them here and other places, and I think I like the shape of these better than any that I have seen. Nice work! Tim

vick

Originally posted by RonRaymond
<br />All of them look terrific, Mike...the finish and photography are top-notch, also. The few stoppers I have made always seem a little top-heavy to me. Your smaller size looks like just the ticket for my next attempt. Care to identify the woods for us? My favorite is the one on the far right.

Sorry forgot to id the woods. From left to right
Walnut, Walnut, Acacia, Walnut (before anyone calls me a liar I got a crotch log of walnut a while ago when I lived in sacramento that had some beautiful figure that went right through to the sap wood, this is the figured sapwood)

I was in the same boat on the size I used to make them way bigger than I think I should have and kind of stumbled on that fact on the last batch I had made that the smaller size seems to look a lot better to me.

The finish is a home brew danish oil. I threaded the stoppers on a 3/8ths bolt and just dipped them in a big vat of it. Let them sit for about 10 minutes than wiped them off and let them sit over night. I did this three or 4 times them let them sit for about a week and buffed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom