Bottle stopper people ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wudnhed

Status
Not open for further replies.

wudnhed

I use a PSI turncrafterplus lathe that is very small. Wanted to start doing stoppers and ordered the bottle stopper lathe chuck and bit. The chuck doesn't fit my lathe, too big, is there something else I should have ordered?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

You need a Moris Taper #1 chuck. The larger ones are Moris Taper #2. You should be able to get a MT1 Jacobs chuck from places like Woodcraft.

Skye

Oh, and you may also want to ask some more tool-smart people here but if you have a drill you may be able to take the chuck out of it and use it.

wudnhed

PSI, Jim, but it's the 1" and I'm thinking I should have gotten the 3/4". I will call PSI tomorrow and ask. Thanks for trying to help guys, I really appreciate it. Come to think of it I may call Woodturningz also. PSI is good but takes a good two weeks to get here. Ryan ships out right away and only takes a few days. Thanks again!

DaveO

I just got what I think to be the same PSI chuck from Pens of Color, PSI offers it in 1" x 8 tpi and ¾" x ? tpi. If you have a smaller lathe, then the smaller threaded chuck is probably what you need. I've been messin' around with stoppers a bit and I think that their chuck system is the easiest way to turn them. You'll enjoy it once you get the right size. Good luck,
Dave[:)]

pssherman

Originally posted by Skye
<br />You need a Moris Taper #1 chuck. The larger ones are Moris Taper #2. You should be able to get a MT1 Jacobs chuck from places like Woodcraft.

Skye, I think the chuck that Becca has is meant to screw onto the external threads. I also have the TurncrafterPlus and a bottle stopper mandrel. Both are 3/4-16 threads. This type of mandrel will not work in a Jacobs chuck because it is meant to use external threads.

Paul in AR

BigRob777

Becca,
I should have told you to check your lathe, before ordering the mandrel. I did the same thing and got one too small. I just sold a mt1 mandrel, for a lathe that I had ordered, but had to cancel. It's a hastle, but you're going to love turning them. I'm getting ready to try some spalted curly buckeye wood in a stopper. I just sold a set and didn't know the wood was curly, until I pulled out of its wrapper.

Let me know when you're ready for more blanks.
Rob

wudnhed

Thanks for the info people, really appreciate it[^]

Rob, gotta get that chuck the right size and then you'll be hearing from me, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom