Bottle Stopper for Mom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

My mom like these things. I prefer to "countersink" them about 1/6 to an 1/8th.

CA Mercury Flex 2 coats thin and 5 medium, sanded and buffed (no MM). Used gas station bathroom shop towels to apply CA.

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Brass Bottle Stopper_14.jpg
    Brass Bottle Stopper_14.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 266
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tb54

Looks great! Never thought of countersinking
Hope to get my work to look that good soon

bsshog40

Very nice Tony! I just ordered me a 5 bottle stopper kit the other day. Gonna try my luck with them. I like your countersunk idea also.

TonyL

Thank you. It was Ruth Niles idea to countersink..I don't want to appropriate her creativity. I use a 7/8th Forstner (sp?) bit, then I drill the hole.

Thanks for the kind words.

greenacres2

Beautiful Tony!! My first several stoppers were Ruth Niles based on some reading. They seemed a bit expensive, but had an excellent reputation. Then, somebody threw a few plated stoppers in with a wood purchase--i really saw the difference in quality and the price difference suddenly didn't seem so big. Stainless and heavy. I really like her bottle openers as well, and they make a nice set.

I also recess almost all of mine, makes for a classy look. A 7/8" Forstner is perfect, and then there is an automatic starter location for the tap bit.
earl

Charlie_W

That's a wonderful bottle stopper Tony!! I like your design and of course, your CA finish is impeccable .
What was the wood you used?

TonyL

Thank you all. I don't remember the name. It was like a open grain, burnt orange, medium brown color. Rockler had a bunch of assorted 8" x 2" X 2" wood blocks. I bought a bunch and cut them up for BS's. None were more than 4.99 a stick.

TonyL

My typing stinks. I should have exercised some forethought about it appearing in the caption. I will change or delete.

TonyL

Thank you all again. Nah...I didn't like the way the caption read, it was bothering me (I understand, not you). The mods were kind enough to change it per my request.

Regarding the paper towels. I use this thing to dispense them and whatever paper it is compatible with. I have foam, blue shop, Bounty...but I am too lazy.

https://www.amazon.com/Georgia-Paci...r=8-5&keywords=enmotion+paper+towel+dispenser

I don't remember paying more than $70 for it. Nor do I recommend using those paper towels.

I find it easier to get a very good finish with larger objects (like BSs). I don't know why.

As some IAP folks who have visited my shop learned, I mounted it too close to my lathes. The thing keeps dispensing paper...need to move it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom