Bottle Stopper & Brass Pins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveAxelrod

SteveAxelrod

I love digging through the bargain wood bin at Woodcraft. I found a small piece of a dark wood that may be a variety of rosewood that was perfect for a bottle stopper. Unfortunately I discovered that the small checks on the end went about a third of the way through and I was forced to part it off and glue on a piece of spalted something (tamarind perhaps) that I also found in the bin. The spalted piece of wood had some of the same brown color as the rosewood and actually matched nicely. After turning the handle I decided the dark bottom was a little too long to suit my taste, but adding four brass pins in the middle broke it up and added a touch of class. Why is it that I've seen few others using pins as an enhancement?

Finished with O.B. Juice friction polish.

Attachments

• Bottle Stopper  (F1).jpg
    Bottle Stopper (F1).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 274
  • Bottle Stopper (2F1).jpg
    Bottle Stopper (2F1).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 252
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Steve, you seem to be the "Master of the Pin Enhancement" !!!!! . Well done again !!

... but you seem to be back to four ! :rolleyes::biggrin::tongue:

BTW, is that a titanium gold bottle stopper ?

Last edited:

oldtoolsniper

I love digging through the bargain wood bin at Woodcraft. I found a small piece of a dark wood that may be a variety of rosewood that was perfect for a bottle stopper. Unfortunately I discovered that the small checks on the end went about a third of the way through and I was forced to part it off and glue on a piece of spalted something (tamarind perhaps) that I also found in the bin. The spalted piece of wood had some of the same brown color as the rosewood and actually matched nicely. After turning the handle I decided the dark bottom was a little too long to suit my taste, but adding four brass pins in the middle broke it up and added a touch of class. Why is it that I've seen few others using pins as an enhancement?

Finished with O.B. Juice friction polish.[/
cb63627722d789e2f4533d47ad76bc4d.jpg

Would you mind giving a rundown on how you do your pin work, or pointing me to the information?

Here is a knife handle I made from a dogs chew bone, I believe a cow shin bone. I made the pins that hold the scales on. I belt sand these to shape. Not sure they would hold up to turning.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom