Bog Oak Dart Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NewfoundlandLaw

Hey All

Thought you would like to see my first set of darts.

Project #2019-103: Handmade 22 Gram Weighted Brass/Steel Dart Set paired with 5400 Year Old Petrified Bog Oak.

Donated to the SUF Mixed League Darts Tournament.

IMG_1730.JPG

"Pen Turning on the Rock"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RVA_Tyndall

These darts look great and very nice presentation!

I just turned my first bog oak and had some trouble with the finishing process where I was getting fibers from my applicators caught in the grain pits. What process did you use if I may ask?

Thanks for sharing!

Lucky2

Newf, those are a very nice looking set of darts, the person who wins them should be well pleased. Is the brass coated or protected in some way, to prevent them from tarnishing? That's the downside to using brass, the color once it tarnishes isn't so nice. I always spray any brass that I use with lacquer, it protects it as good or better than any other way does.

Len

I just turned my first bog oak and had some trouble with the finishing process where I was getting fibers from my applicators caught in the grain pits. What process did you use if I may ask?

Thanks for sharing!

I am a huge fan of a product called "Aussie Oil". It is great for bog Oak and makes a long lasting finish that brings out the deep grain.

Newf, those are a very nice looking set of darts, the person who wins them should be well pleased. Is the brass coated or protected in some way, to prevent them from tarnishing? That's the downside to using brass, the color once it tarnishes isn't so nice. I always spray any brass that I use with lacquer, it protects it as good or better than any other way does.

Len

I think it is some sort of brass alloy. They always keep their shine. I know Henry Firearms uses a metal called "Brass-Lite" that is just like brass but doesn't discolour as easily.

I know Henry's Brass-Lite is amazing stuff. Same brass colour, (no cheap plating as it's the actual metal colour), but very tough and very hard to tarnish. I use a Henry Golden Boy for Rabbits and it gets used hard. It still looks new nearly 10 years later.

Last edited:

studioseven

I was wondering if you tested the darts? I made a set years ago but they tended to flutter in the air. They looked great but had the accuracy of a scud missile. I tried redistributing the weights but didn't have any success.

Seven

pshrynk

I was wondering if you tested the darts? I made a set years ago but they tended to flutter in the air. They looked great but had the accuracy of a scud missile. I tried redistributing the weights but didn't have any success.

Seven

That's what has kept me from making darts. I am probably not good enough yet to make the things all the same weight and balance. And I will need a lot more understanding of those things just in general. I'd love to flash a set of custom made darts at my next outing, but then the SCUD design bit might embarrass.

mecompco

Thanks for sharing!

I am a huge fan of a product called "Aussie Oil". It is great for bog Oak and makes a long lasting finish that brings out the deep grain.

I agree. IMHO a CA finish ruins bog oak and other really open-grained woods. Aussie Oil, admittedly not as long lasting a finish, really brings out the subtle colors and keeps the grain intact. A CA finish just turns it into a smooth, blackish wooden pen with little character.

Seven

That's what has kept me from making darts. I am probably not good enough yet to make the things all the same weight and balance. And I will need a lot more understanding of those things just in general. I'd love to flash a set of custom made darts at my next outing, but then the SCUD design bit might embarrass.

They weren't too bad but now I'm experimenting with filling the tube with melted lead.

PS: For the love of God don't try this yourself if you are not use to working with molten lead. It is literally the worst thing in the world and likes to "explode" everywhere with any trace amount of liquid. I've been working with lead for years and have a lot of scars to show for it.

Top Bottom