Bocote Letter Opener

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I made this a few weeks ago after getting another paper cut opening a letter.

The blank has been calling out to me for a few years.
(I also wanted to practice posting full-size images again for the Segmented Pen Contest - OK, they last one is a bit big :)).

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 476
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

That is funny I am making one for myself today. I never made these but they are the only kit that looks nice and it matches the majestic pen series. That came out real nice. Photos look good.too .:):)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Lance, the overall length is 7 1/8". The blank/tube is 2 3/8".

But, it is a a simple plug on each end, so you can use additional appropriate diameter tubing and make the turned section longer or shorter.

It's a very attractive kit, available from PSI and their related vendors. And as JT mentioned it makes for a beautiful set with a matching Majestic pen. Yes, a bit pricey, but the quality is good in my opinion.

Shock me

Nice work! I'm always wishing I could put a razor edge on one of those cuz I like to slice open my envelopes, not rip them...

jttheclockman

Nice work! I'm always wishing I could put a razor edge on one of those cuz I like to slice open my envelopes, not rip them...

Now you know why they do not do that right???? If they did than your sign-on name would be appropriate to the dingbats that that use them :eek::eek::eek::eek:

You own a lathe and they make things round. Use it to make your own style. Use some stainless steel and have at it. Your wish will come true.:):):) Think outside the box is my motto I live by and stress here all the time.

Last edited:

Talltim

I like it. Just curious is the image of the letter opener that is reflected in components from using a mirror to reflect lighting?

I have been trying to work on photography.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I like it. Just curious is the image of the letter opener that is reflected in components from using a mirror to reflect lighting?

I have been trying to work on photography.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Nah - just a quick photo, I really didn't set it up carefully. It was in a light tent with some overhead bulbs on a white fabric. They came out OK, but could have been better if I wasn't rushed - life has been calling.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm glad you decided to use this blank. It matches well with the hardware. Very nice fit and Non-CA finish! :wink::biggrin:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'm glad you decided to use this blank. It matches well with the hardware. Very nice fit and Non-CA finish! :wink::biggrin:

I agree that it matches well, but sheesh folks... its just a letter opener!

Finish: My typical, Wipe on polyurethane, 3-4 coats. I did experiment and use spar urethane for this one. Still used the slow turning and heat lamp. 4 finishes in 8-10 hrs. Let set for 3-4 days while I got bored. Then assembled. A bit of the grain is still felt, but a pretty thick finish.

Ya got me on the finish Obi Wan! :rolleyes: Can't fool an old sh-t!

bsshog40

Very nice Mark! I love that Bocote. I still have one pen blank of bocote I plan on turning one day.

Top Bottom