Bocote bottle stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WillinSEMN

WillinSEMN

After a frustrating day yesterday when I chipped out a piece of purpleheart that I was turning for a pen, I decided to make this bottle stopper from some scraps of bocote. This is my first stopper although this kit was quite easy - similar to turning pens.

Finished with 3 coats of Shellawax and then 2 coats of paste wax, although I wonder if I would be better off with a CA finish for an item like this.

C&C welcome. Sorry for the less than ideal photo - I took it quickly in the garage where the lighting isn't great.

Cheers,
Will
SouthEast MN

Attachments

• IMG_1938.jpg
    IMG_1938.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 215

jsolie

Nice! Bocote is one of my favorite woods to work with. I've had some issues with some finishes going on bocote due to it's oiliness. I now wipe the piece down with denatured alcohol before finishing to cut back any oil on the surface. CA works well for smaller pieces and would have worked fine for this.

Good looking stopper... love the bocote.

I've never made that particular style of B/S... I had a few that was turned by a friend that I did on consignment for him... didn't think they were all that well received, even though he did an exemplary job on their production. I think I sold 3 out of 5 that he left with me before I gave up selling his stuff - after a couple of years. I rarely show pens now at all.

Top Bottom