Birdhouse ornaments galore!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alankulwicki7

alankulwicki7

Hey all,
I had to make some birdhouse ornaments for an upcoming show so I decided to spice things up a little bit. I've got the usual hanging ornaments and stands but a little idea popped into my head with the magnetic ornaments. I made a little arm with a magnet and viola!

Attachments

• ornament2.jpg
    ornament2.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 324
  • ornament1.jpg
    ornament1.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 341
  • ornament3.jpg
    ornament3.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 291
  • ornament4.jpg
    ornament4.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 325
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alankulwicki7

Those came out real well. The magnetic ones can wind up on the fridge too. Fun to make and they do sell well at shows. Thanks for showing.
That was my intent :). I just threw these on my shop door to take the photos...
That magnet idea is gold, pure gold!

Thanks!

very nice: do you make the birds or buy if you buy where? thnks

I buy the birds here:

Mushroom Bird

I like to buy the smallest birds they have (about 3/4" tall) but last time I ordered they only had 1" birds in stock so these birds are a little bigger than I usually use....

MDWine

I tried not to geek out... but.... I love these, and am starting to work on a few. I found the birdies online in an ETSY shop, but HL would be easier!

GEEK QUESTION: are you hollowing these at all? (The ones I will do will be hollowed with a forstner.)

Nicely done sir!

alankulwicki7

Thanks for the comments! I don't mind making these because they sell pretty well for me :) but when you are making 20 or more, they get to be pretty tedious at times :eek:

I tried not to geek out... but.... I love these, and am starting to work on a few. I found the birdies online in an ETSY shop, but HL would be easier!

GEEK QUESTION: are you hollowing these at all? (The ones I will do will be hollowed with a forstner.)

Nicely done sir!

These are hollowed using a forstner bit. I've got it down to an assembly line process now and I use a 1" forstner bit for hollowing. Then I use the 1" hole for holding the blank while I turn the outside. I'll typically turn all of the bottoms, pick out a piece of contrasting wood for the top and then turn the top to match the bottom. For attaching the top and bottom I use a mortise and tenon type joint. I'll use a 1-1/4" forstner bit to drill a shallow hole on the top and use that for mounting the blank to the chuck. Then I'll have a matching 1-1/4" tenon on the top of the body. This gives a good spot for glueing and helps hide the seams...

Top Bottom