Billiardball Clocks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

Well I was finally able to get some of these billiardball clocks done last night for an upcoming craft show this weekend. I had to wait on an order for a carbide fostner bit because a standard HSS one was wearing too fast. The billiardballs are standard 2-1/4" pool balls and the base is made from red oak and rosewood and finished with a waterbased semigloss lacquer. It is suppose to resemble the triangle rack. Hopefully they will be good sellers. Only time will tell. Thanks for looking and have a great day.

CopyofIMGP0506.jpg

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Wow. I like them very much! Do you mind me asking what your price will be on those?

I will start out asking $25 and feel out the shows. I never know where the price of items end up when I first introduce them. The big expense with these is the clock inserts. They have risen in price this past year so I will see how it goes.

As far as jigs for working on these, I will try next week to take some photos. Very hectic around here for the next 4 weeks between work and shows. I still have some other projects I need to get done.

Thanks all for the kind words.

DennisM

Neat idea and well done.:):):)

Just to nit pick - they are pool balls. Billiards is played with three balls and they have no numbers on them.

Actually, that's Carom you are thinking of, Billiards is a general term that encompasses all forms.

There is Carom (three balls No pockets)
Straight Pool.
Snooker
3 ball, or 3 Cushion..
8 Ball.
9 ball
10 ball
and a few others...

Carom is a great game and really fun!

(used to pay my bills with pool)

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
These look great! The finish is superb.. your painting skills are far beyond
what I can do. If I painted those numbers, you'd probably know which
ball was which.. but that's about it.

I'm ok with turning a sphere, but how do you get a seamless finish on one???

DennisM

These look great! The finish is superb.. your painting skills are far beyond
what I can do. If I painted those numbers, you'd probably know which
ball was which.. but that's about it.

I'm ok with turning a sphere, but how do you get a seamless finish on one???

Those are real pool balls I do believe. Not turned..

artme

Actually, that's Carom you are thinking of, Billiards is a general term that encompasses all forms.

There is Carom (three balls No pockets)
Straight Pool.
Snooker
3 ball, or 3 Cushion..
8 Ball.
9 ball
10 ball
and a few others...

Carom is a great game and really fun!

(used to pay my bills with pool)

"Tis indeed a great game. We have friends with an autistic son. Great young fellow. Part of the way we have helped to "get him out of his shell" and to show his parents his capabilities was to teach him to play pool.

Bought his own table from his own funds and now wHops the lot of us!!!!

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator
How do you fit a flat clock on a round ball ? Isn't there a gap on both sides of the clock ?

I have to assume the HARD part is holding the ball. If you think about it, there won't be a gap... Picture the ball.... Now sand one side flat... You will see a perfect circle at the edge of the flat part.

Drilling the hole is the same effect... At the edges of the hole will be a perfect circle!

:cool:

Cool clocks J.T.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Now sand one side flat... You will see a perfect circle at the edge of the flat part.

Drilling the hole is the same effect... At the edges of the hole will be a perfect circle!

Or if you cut out a circle in a flat piece of wood on the lathe, it will hold
a sphere for drilling. Doesn't even matter much what size as long as it isn't
larger than the width of the ball. You wouldn't even need to sand it flat.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Or if you cut out a circle in a flat piece of wood on the lathe, it will hold
a sphere for drilling. Doesn't even matter much what size as long as it isn't
larger than the width of the ball. You wouldn't even need to sand it flat.

Sorry if I was confusing.... I do NOT recommend sanding flat. I know that the bit will take care of that - what I was trying to do was create a visual for comben to understand how a flat clock goes into a sphere w/o gaps.

jttheclockman

How do you fit a flat clock on a round ball ? Isn't there a gap on both sides of the clock ?

Hello all

First I would like to thank all for the kind words. I sold 2 at the first one day show yesterday and have a cfew 2 days shows for the next 3 weekends so will see how that goes. Sold 6 pens also which makes me feel good. There was 2 other pen turners there also.

To quickly answer a couple questions yes holding the ball requires a jig to make it happen and getting the center of the numbers is another concern when drilling for the inserts. The inserts are 1-7/16" round and require a hole of 1-3/8" which is plenty room within the shere of the ball which is 2-1/4" As long as you do not surpass that you will be able to drill safely and have the clock cover the hole. I have included a close up of the rim of the clock to show that it does fit flat and there is no gaps.

Have a great day and again thanks for the nice words.

Sorry forgot the photos

IMGP0518.jpg

IMGP0517.jpg

jttheclockman

This was a neat find.

Never saw this post before.

Phil

Wow here is a blast from the past. Thanks Phil

I have to tell you when I first started making them I did not know how well they would sell. Being basically 6 years selling, I can safely say they are a hit and will always be in my inventory for shows. I have done well with them.

I also can say that I am working on adding a couple new things to the Billiardball lineup. Will see how those go.

Thanks again for the flashback.

jttheclockman

Jim Smith

They look fantastic! What about putting green felt on top of the tri-angle base as part of the billiards table theme look? Just a thought...

Jim Smith

jttheclockman

They look fantastic! What about putting green felt on top of the tri-angle base as part of the billiards table theme look? Just a thought...

Jim Smith

I like that idea. I may make a few and let the customer choose. Thanks. To take it a step further I may use different colored felt. Today many tables are different colors other than green. My table has tan felt. I have a billiard clock that has a mini table in it with brown felt to match the table I own. So maybe they may want to match the clock to their table.

Top Bottom