Biggggg Cedar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

Here is a project that I am working on that will be entered in a contest. The wood is Eastern Red Cedar---I am just getting to the point where the finsh is starting to build a shine. It will have a bunch of coats of hand rubbed finish on it before it is done. I am useing a Homebrew for the finish.

200742014418_cedarvase.jpg

200742014516_cedarvase2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Gary,

Very nice cedar!

I have a comment but will keep it to myself since I am not sure if you welcome critique or not [;)]

Dario

Gary,

The wood is great but I feel like you tried to maximize and display the wood too much that the shape suffered a bit. The body is a bit too cylindical for me and the mouth is too big. Of course shape preference is highly personal and that might be the exact shape you are going for.

Gary Max

The show that this piece is going to---every one who has a booth can enter one item---I have two booths so I get to enter two items. The judge is one person---I am going to enter two very different items---because at the end of the day it comes down to what did one person like. One of the things you do not see in this pic-----this is a monster---I will take another pic and try to show the size better.

alamocdc

Gary, that is a beautiful piece of Cedar and the color variation is spectacular! I'm gonna disagree w/Dario on this though. On it's own, I can see what he's talking about, but I imediately envisioned it filled with a nice bouguet of flowers (real or silk wouldn't matter) and it should make for a truly gorgeous center piece.[^]

Gary Max

Billy I can't even give you a good reason why I make these. The darn thing is a bit on the expensive side. I just love making them---I have never seen anyone else that turns Big Cedar like mine---of course about the time I say that it will change---LOL
The second item that I am going to enter has been finished for a while----I need to post a pic of it also.

Rifleman1776

Yes it is big. And it did take courage to turn it. Red cedar is as brittle as it is soft. Easy to turn but very disaster prone. Shape? My immediate thoughts were spitoon or thunder mug. Not that I dislike, it's a good hollow form turning.

Gary Max

Bobb got a funny for you---I am in Kentucky---the #1 state that folks drive from to buy our stuff is----yup thats right--Texas. We get folks that stop by from Texas more than any other state---which is real strange because we are located back in the sticks in the middle of nowhere.
I guess it's one of those small world things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom