"Best" Bottlestopper Mandrel?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim Smith

Jim Smith

I purchased 10 of the SS bottlestoppers from Richard Chan's group buy and I'm ready to start turing a few of them. I believe that these bottelstoppers are 3/8 inch 16 TPI.

I realize that asking which bottlestopper mandel is "best" is a very subjective assessment. That being said, I find that the people here on IAP offer honest, candid feedback based on extensive personal experience. So with that said, is there any significant differences between the bottlestopper mandrels offered at AS v's PSI or Ruth Niles? I plan on using my Beale collet chuck to hold the mandrel.

Also, any recommendations for a tap setup would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Jim Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

If you are using a collet to hold the mandrel, then the mandrel is little more than a 3/8 x 16 bolt.

I use the PSI mandrel. It is a hefty hunk of steel that threads directly onto the spindle of the lathe (no chuck required) and that includes a 3/8 x 16 tip threaded stud to hold the blank.

Drilling the blank is not a challenge. The PSI chuck comes with an appropriate bit. The problem is threading the hole. Cutting threads in a hole that is axial with the grain of the wood is not easy. With hardwood, threads often strip rather than cut. In his book on turning techniques, Mike Darlow suggests using a bolt to create axial thread by compression rather than using a tap to cut threads.

I've found that using two taps sometimes helps. The first tap should be tapered so that the initial threads cut by the tap are shallow. Follow that with a 'bottoming tap' in which the cutting edges extend all the way to the end of the tap.

nava1uni

I think that either the PSI, which threads onto the spindle works well with their stoppers. The Richard Chan stoppers have a different size top and are smaller then the PSI, which will require a different bushing. AS sells a bushing that fits on other mandrels so you can use a mandrel for turning different size stoppers. The stoppers from the Chan group buy are the same size as the Ruth Niles mandrel, which is a MT 2 taper and so fits in the spindle. I have all of the different mandrels and I personally like the Ruth Niles the best.

randyrls

To join the thread; The AS and RN stoppers are slightly different in size If you turn your stopper down to match plug and stopper, you will find the collar ring isn't the same size on both... As always, Your Mileage May Vary....

Hayseedboy

Ruth's mandrel is worth it to me just because it is self tapping. That and I like to support her with her stoppers especially now that the dude in Canada has knocked of her product. That is cheap!

I'd go with Ruth's.

I have PSI's and it is fine but not self taping.

lr

Ruth's mandrel is worth it to me just because it is self tapping. That and I like to support her with her stoppers especially now that the dude in Canada has knocked of her product. That is cheap!

I'd go with Ruth's.

I have PSI's and it is fine but not self taping.

lr
How is it self tapping? Are you saying I do not need to tap a hole in the topper material of my choice?I am looking at there 10 stopper and bit and #2 morse set for $80.00

Hayseedboy

It taps as you mount the blank on the mandrel. The diameter of the threads is a little undersized to start with and the chips are cleared because there is a channel cut against the threads.

In other words, you won't need a separate tap...I have not used it for the pendant backer but the threads are the same so I have to believe that it would work.

Just send any other questions to Ruth at rthniles@yahoo.com and I am certain she will be more than willing to help you. A very nice lady!!! You can call her direct too at 717.486.5232.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I made my own self-tapping mandrel for Ruth's bottle stoppers. I both a 3/8" bolt and cut the head off it. I chuck this in either my collett chuck or my spigot jaws. I then used a file and cut 2 grooves lengthwise at the very tip making sure that the one side was vertical so it would cut the threads. Now get a piece of scrap wood, drill a 3/8" hole in it and turn it to the size you want for the outside of your bottle stopper.

Works great and cost me $0.89. And I can change the wooden base anytime to change the diameter of the base of the stoppers.

GK

sdemars

Ordered this . . .

It taps as you mount the blank on the mandrel. The diameter of the threads is a little undersized to start with and the chips are cleared because there is a channel cut against the threads.

In other words, you won't need a separate tap...I have not used it for the pendant backer but the threads are the same so I have to believe that it would work.

Just send any other questions to Ruth at rthniles@yahoo.com and I am certain she will be more than willing to help you. A very nice lady!!! You can call her direct too at 717.486.5232.

Ordered this weekend . . .
Steve

Rchan63

Hi Jim

I had the worse case of the ringing in my ear last weekend:biggrin:, so I came to the IAP to check what's new and I found your thread.

I made my own mandrel for the bottle stoppers using a couple of nuts, washers and some scrap oak. I'll post some pictures and if you have any questions I will be more that happy to answer them if I'm able:biggrin:.

Attachments

• stopper mandrel 1.jpg
    stopper mandrel 1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 187
  • close up left1.jpg
    close up left1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 162
  • close up right1.jpg
    close up right1.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 144
I went ahead and bought the RN setup and did 2 stoppers. seems to good with the self tapping.
My new question is, I have not one wine bottle around here to test one on, all I have is a whiskey bottle (Southern Comfort) and it does not seem to fit. I could maybe force it in but it seems to tight.
Do these stoppers fit all wine bottles?

Dave_M

OK I ordered some of Ruth's stoppers and they fit a bottle better than any other stopper I've used. I do like the mini teardrop shaped stoppers I've been using but they don't fit a bottle as nicely as Ruth's. I'm officially a Ruth Niles convert.

bitshird

I went ahead and bought the RN setup and did 2 stoppers. seems to good with the self tapping.
My new question is, I have not one wine bottle around here to test one on, all I have is a whiskey bottle (Southern Comfort) and it does not seem to fit. I could maybe force it in but it seems to tight.
Do these stoppers fit all wine bottles?

Ruth's stopper fit most wine bottles, but whiskey bottles are a different size, I've made a couple of stoppers for Crown for my son and had to use the cheap silicon stoppers for them.

Padre

I think I'm missing something here.

I use the PSI bottle stopper mandrels and I have never had to use a tap.

I drill a 23/64th hole in the wood/PR, then thread it on to the mandrel, turn it, then thread that onto the actual bottle stopper.

Am I missing something with the Ruth Niles self tapping, etc.?

sbell111

I drill a 23/64th hole in the wood/PR, then thread it on to the mandrel, turn it, then thread that onto the actual bottle stopper.

I guess that we both are. Since I only make PR bottlestoppers, I assumed from the conversation that wood ones would require tapping.

I have recieved 2 wine bottles and inserted some stoppers into them.
One stopper the O rings leave the top one showing, the other bottle leaves 2 O rings showing. Is this normal?

randyrls

23/64" is a little large for a 3/8" thread. Depending on the drill bit, the threads may not hold in the stopper.

Top Bottom