Bentwood ring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Woodguy95

Woodguy95

This is a project I am working on with my local jeweler. We want to make woden rings with a metal insert that will be glued on after the turning. The finish is jut my CA glue finish. Any suggestions of metal should we go with gold or silver to agence it with the paduk.

It is bentwood so in order to make it I need to use a wood that isn't that hard to bend. Any suggestions of wood to use.

Critics and comments are as always welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodguy95

Have you looked at the ring cores marketed through Woodworkers Emporium?

They look nice but the jeweller will sell the rings and he want to use some gold or silver rings. Also he will be able to vary the width of the ring and the thickness so this is a big plus. I might give the stainless rings a try though

low_48

I'm way confused. It's bent and turned? And where does padauk come into play? Do you know that padauk, exposed to sunlight, won't be orange very long?

Woodguy95

I'm way confused. It's bent and turned? And where does padauk come into play? Do you know that padauk, exposed to sunlight, won't be orange very long?

Most of the bentwood rings maker will only bent the ring and then sand and sand untill they get a nice finish. I just do it on the lathe because it is faster. I am counting on the fact that it will change color to a nice and rich red

jaywood1207

ca finish on a ring is going to chip and crack - it's quite brittle...

CA finish stands up very well if taken care of and you aren't doing heavy/rough manual labor with the ring on but in a case like that any ring would scratch. I've made well over 300 rings and have only ever used CA finish. So far I have only had 3 rings come back for refinishing and all of the ones my wife wears look as good as the day they were made.

Top Bottom