• DSCN1006.jpg
    DSCN1006.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCN1007.JPG
    DSCN1007.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 188
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

I found that it is easier to use a hand plane then to boil and steam the wood. I cut very thin pieces on the table saw and try to bend them but i am not too successful, yet. Using a hand plane on woods like popular, beech, pine seems to work easier b/c they are already curled and can be done right away. I am going to keep at it, there are multiple possibilities yet to be done. Oh, and there are no kits to buy in making a true bentwood ring. That is a +.. Carl

coffeeslug

Been working on bentwood rings, trying to get a handle on how to make them

Joe from veneersupplies has some good stuff. Some wood works/bends better than others obviously but he has a huge selection.

https://www.veneersupplies.com/

Bentwood rings are a lot of fun, and addicting, especially when you get into inlays and such!

Here's one i did with amboyna and rosewood with crushed amazonite

Attachments

• AMB_EIR_AMAZONITE.jpg
    AMB_EIR_AMAZONITE.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 177

fernhills

Joe from veneersupplies has some good stuff. Some wood works/bends better than others obviously but he has a huge selection.

Bentwood rings are a lot of fun, and addicting, especially when you get into inlays and such!

Hi, did you put the channel for the inlay with the lathe. I did, and it worked, even though the vids said you can`t do it that way. But i messed it up in another way and chucked it out. Carl

coffeeslug

Hi, did you put the channel for the inlay with the lathe. I did, and it worked, even though the vids said you can`t do it that way. But i messed it up in another way and chucked it out. Carl

Nope, I do them with a rasp. I've found that bentwood rings are hard to get perfectly concentric. This makes it harder to get an even width all the way around the ring.

Top Bottom