The Beast Has Arrived

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

Some of you may recall the custom knife I made and posted about back in November. One of my last posts in that thread was a pic of a "beastly" looking antler piece. Well here is the completed "Beast".

It uses an American made Damascus steel blade(Jantz Supply - Snake River blade) I wanted to shorten the ugly antler extensions but the customer wanted it UGLY and that is what he got although I have to say it's a fairly nice looking ugly.:cool: Assembled length is right at 10 inches.

Blade Mfr. Blade Data:
Jantz Item# JD722 - The overall length is 9 3/8"(I had to cut about half the tine off), blade length is 4 3/4"(I measured 5-1/8") long and 1 1/8" wide, 5/32" thick.

Hardware:
"German Silver"(aka nickle-silver) finger guard and pommel, imported from Ukraine

Antler:
Whitetail Deer, customer supplied. There was a teaser pic in post#14 of my other thread, it showed the antler that became the handle for this knife.

Obverse(Display side - something new I learned about knives was the terminology associated with them:wink:)
AssemblyProc (24).jpg

Reverse side.
AssemblyProc (26).jpg

Close up of finger guard and makers mark.
AssemblyProc (28).jpg

Other Details:
Edit: Ooops, had a couple pics reversed, corrected now.
AssemblyProc (25).jpg AssemblyProc (27).jpg AssemblyProc (29).jpg

Make/Assembly Details:
Image1.jpgImage2.jpg

C&C appreciated. Please ask if you have questions, I will answer to the best of my knowledge, this is only my second knife.
Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JD Combs Sr

That is a wicked looking knife !! FANTASTIC display piece !! Jim S
Thanks for posting Jim. My customer is giving the knife to a friend as a gift and I am not sure what the friend will use it for but most likely it will be for display "mostly?). The entire story is that my friend's, friend's, father is the one who got the deer with the antler used on both knives. My friend had the knife made for his friend as a memorial to his friends father who recently passed on. Sorry about all the friendliness here but don't know how else to say it.
redface.gif
One of the reasons I wanted to shorten the smaller antler horns was so that it could be carried but my friend insisted that they stay so, as I said most likely it will be for display only.

JD Combs Sr

The only thing I don't like about that knife is the fact that it is not in my hand. Love the Damascus steel blade.
Thanks for looking & commenting Ken but sorry the customer has already taken delivery so your hands will have to remain empty of it.:wink: I too liked the Damascus but I had to replace the original blade due to some de-lamination I found when cleaning it up.

Nice knife, would love one myself, and I do have deer antler.
Thanks for looking & commenting Keith. The knives I have made,(total 2) have been that hard, order you a ready made blade and see what you can do with your antler.:)

Top Bottom