Automotive Gear Shift Nob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alexander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander

Just wondering if anyone has turned an automotive Gear Shift Nob. I didnt find any pictures of one on the forum and was looking for some ideas. I have a 1968 Corvette I would like to turn a nob for. Anyone ever done this before and/or know where I can get the threaded inserts for one?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
You might try Dwain Coats of Spa City Woodworks on Ebay. Dwain is a good guy to do business with, and I know he sells gear shift knobs on occasion. Maybe if you buy the wood from him he will help you out.

alamocdc

You mean like this? The kid that requested it gave me a stock knob and I turned it down to leave a core that I cast the PR around. This one happens to be for a Mustang. The mandrel is a bolt (from Lowe's) that fit the threads (minus the hex head, of course).

2007313201218_shifter1.jpg
<br />

Alexander

Thanks, WD, and alamocdc, that gearshift is beautiful.

Originally posted by Alexander
<br />Just wondering if anyone has turned an automotive Gear Shift Nob. I didnt find any pictures of one on the forum and was looking for some ideas. I have a 1968 Corvette I would like to turn a nob for. Anyone ever done this before and/or know where I can get the threaded inserts for one?

darbytee

Sean, I'll second what Cav said. I've also bought from Dwain before and he sells quality stuff. If you want to try to cast something like Billy's example you can bring your stock knob next time you come to Knoxville and we can work on it here.

Alexander

You got me on that one Fred, I dont really see a point to just let a mid life crisis stop. Its too much fun !![8D]

Hey, by the way, I am really interested to see how your bowls are turning out. Post a few new pictures when you get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom