Attempt at a Cloud Bowl, C&C please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I decided to try a cloud Bowl and am not completely happy with my effort. I should have diluted my paint more and left unpainted wood on the outer rim. Not sure of my choice of colors either. Critiques, comments, and suggestions welcomed.

IMG_1629.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

I think it looks great from the angle we see. One thing that I might change is the drastic contrast. I would cut that back a little, that might be accomplished by the thinning of the paint that you said was needed.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
We are our worst critiques (and that is OK, it keeps us striving for improvement).

You had some concept of what you wanted, and it came out differently.

I had no preconceived idea of what it would look like before I clicked the thread - and I love it! I think it is beautiful! The bright colors are no distraction to me.

Charlie_W

Way to go! Maybe you didn't get your expected outcome but it is a sharp looking bowl!.....and a learning tool. Can't wait to see the next one!

If you have an internal tenon, you could shave it off and have another go at it but I would keep it as it is!

I have seen Gary Lowe's video as well as Tim Yoder's....looks like a cool process!

Skie_M

Seems to me that the colors are quite vivid (which some like, and some dont) and tend to clash a bit ...

I would have gone with about 3 times more dilution, to make the colors much less vivid and more ephemeral, with perhaps 1/3 the saturation, as well, to give some black background to contrast against. Lastly, I think I would not have mixed so many "hot" and "cold" colors together ... red-orange-yellow go nicely together, and green-blue-purple would also go nicely together.

Get some black construction paper and spray it with clear gloss and use that as a cheap palette to figure out what works best for you in terms of color scheme, saturation, and hue. (it's a lot cheaper than churning out a lot of bowls/plates that are unsatisfactory!)

MDWine

I've been looking at these quite closely lately. One of our club members recently did one, not altogether unlike yours.

I'm not sure I even like the ones I've seen by either by Tim Yoder or Gary Lowe!! We each have our own perspective, likes, and dislikes.

The one you did is just a version... it'll take a few attempts to get it where you really want it, the way you envision it, so keep on plugging away.

Some time I hope to get to my lathe to try it as well, I love'm!!! I like yours as well!

OZturner

I think it is Great Cody,
Please stop Beating yourself Up,
It is a Beautifully turned Bowl.
The Colours are Vibrant and Alive,
It will Look Magnificent on your Table or Sideboard, or What Ever.
If after you have moved it to the positions mentioned above, and you are still Uncertain, I will provide my Address, so you can post it to Me.
See Just How Helpful I Can Be.
I think that will be a Piece of wood that SWMBO will let me bring Home.
Regards,
Brian.

Cwalker935

Thanks for the nice comments, perhaps my expectations colored my thinking. I am going to experiment more with this s approach and other embellishments.

Top Bottom